cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No fibre available but neighbours can???

yallman
Hooked

No fibre available but neighbours can???

Hi,

My Plusnet package typically gives me 7Mbps download and 1Mbps upload. Neither Plusnet nor its main competitiors are offering me a fibre connection. Having discovered that I can get over 20Mbps in both directions via a 4G router in my loft, I was about to end my arrangement with Plusnet when I discovered that my immediate neighbour gets 33Mbps via wires, which can only mean that he has fibre.

A 2019 topic with the same title as this one revealed that it is possible for some properties in a street to be connected direct to the exchange while the majority connect to a fibre enabled cabinet. That does not seem to be the case here. The website referred to in the previous thread: https://telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm?xid=773262&postcodeloc=11543&cabinet=P9  appears to show that 100% of addresses in my postcode are connected to the specified cabinet.

If I go ahead with 4G, it will be Plusnet's loss, but I wouldn't want to make the change if it is just, say, a database error that is blocking me from getting fibre. Any suggestions as to what I should do next would be very welcome.

yallman

12 REPLIES 12
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: No fibre available but neighbours can???

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre to Everything Else

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

@yallman If you put your phone number in here:BT Broadband and post the result (as a screenshot) we could possibly advise you better. Make sure your phone number doesn't show, though.

John
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@yallman 

If you use the Address version of the link just provided you can be nosey and check your neighbours availability.

Enter your Post Code only and select addresses from the drop down list.

Brian

yallman
Hooked

Many thanks for both responses.

Hopefully you can see the screenshot. It looks as though the answer is right there - "Waiting list", although the same is stated against a couple of my neighbours who already have fibre. 

Is there any way of finding out how long the waiting list is? If not, I guess I will be giving up my landline and ADSL at the end of the current contract with Plusnet and relying on 4G instead.

yallman

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

@yallman Nope - we can't see the screenshot. The 'waiting list' is just that - you would have to wait until a port becomes available in the Fibre cabinet - either through someone terminating their connection, or BT increasing the capacity.

Unfortunately, there is no way of finding out how long you would have to wait, the only thing to do is keep checking.

John
yallman
Hooked

Thanks jab1.

Not sure why the screenshot didn't appear since I placed the link on the paperclick. However, that is academic now. You have given me an answer regarding the waiting list and I shall either have to wait or take the alternative route as previously mentioned.

Thanks again,

Tom

bmc
Hero

@yallman 

I believe images are blocked for new subscribers who have only made a couple of posts. If you were to try again it could well work this time.

If you would prefer a wired connection then you need to check daily to see what the score is. Then, if a port becomes available you can get straight in there and book it via upgrading your PlusNet account.

Brian

yallman
Hooked

Thanks Brian,

Another attempt to send the screenshot!

Now I understand the situation, I will certainly be there checking daily for fibre availability.

Tom

RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Hi @yallman 

The problem is that there is a waiting list for FTTC.

This indicates that the VDSL fibre cabinet is full to its current capacity.

Openreach either have to add more capacity or someone has to cease their service freeing a port up.

Adding more capacity can sometimes only require an additional card in the VDSL fibre cabinet or if the cabinet is fully populated with cards and additional fibre cabinet is required.

Perhaps the best approach would be to contact Openreach for a timescale when more capacity is planned.

https://www.openreach.com/

In some areas Openreach are not investing in VDSL FTTC and are providing G.FAST FTTC or Fibre to Premise (FTTP).

Sadly currently Plusnet do not offer G.FAST or FTTP.

There are some rumors that Plunset will offer FTTP later this year.

If the Openreach website indicates that FTTP or G.FAST is available you would have to leave Plusnet to get a faster service.

Regards

Richard

yallman
Hooked

Many thanks, Richard,

I think I am now clear as to what the current situation is and what my options are.

Regards, Tom

bmc
Hero

@yallman 

The screenshot doesn't provide great encouragement. Download would be between 25 and 35 Mbps and upload between 4.5  and 7.

You left enough of your post code showing to enable a check on OpenReach. Nothing doing there - no plans for your Post Code. You can register your interest in faster speed through the check if you wish.

Brian

yallman
Hooked

Thanks again, Brian,

As you say, not very encouraging. I have registered an interest with OpenReach, but won't be holding my breath!

Regards,

Tom