cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No capacity for Fibre in my area

electrosphere

No capacity for Fibre in my area

Hello Plusnet Community,

I moved to Enfield, London last year and learned that there is no extra capacity for Fibre connections at my exchange so I went with PlusNet which the former resident also had.

I recently had BT Openreach visit and fix a fault. I explained my lack of Fibre and he said to contact PlusNet about it and to also keep trying every so often because customers cancel connections and free up ports.

I just wondered if this sounds right and has anyone gone from copper broadband to Fibre this way?

Thanks Smiley
15 REPLIES 15
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

Re: No capacity for Fibre in my area

@electrosphere 

Have a look at the following

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

If you can post a screen image of the results (hiding personal details) then the Forum members can offer advice.

Brian

electrosphere

Thanks for the info but how do I find out the info requested in the BT Form?

It says "We advise using the DN/ALID as input for checking the availability of line-based services (e.g. FTTC/SOGEA). For checking availability of FTTP, we advise using the UPRN or Address Checker"

I cannot find any of these values in the Broadband section of my Hub.

I don't know my telephone number, I have no landline, I use mobile for everything - I guess I can ask PlusNet support?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

I don't know my telephone number,

Login to the member centre https://www.plus.net/member-centre/login , your phone number will be shown there ( probably in the home phone section )

For the address checker , just enter your postcode and select the correct address from the list

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bmc
Hero

@electrosphere 

Your UPRN is the identifier given to a property once planning permission has been granted. It's used by Utility companies for planning and such until such time as a post code for a property is created.

You can find out yours here

https://www.findmyaddress.co.uk/

Brian

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from  Broadband to Everything Else 

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
electrosphere

Thanks for the replies.

I tried the link for UPRN but the number is seen as not valid by the Broadband checker link.

My landline number is not in my PlusNet account because I have a line-only broadband contract.

I have contacted PlusNet support via Twitter to help get the data I need.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

My landline number is not in my PlusNet account because I have a line-only broadband contract

you still have a landline number! You just don't have a call plan

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

electrosphere

I got my number from PlusNet support which allowed me to use the Broadband Checker, results below.

What do you think guys?

2023-05-11 19_04_21-BT Broadband — Mozilla Firefox.png2023-05-11 19_04_44-BT Broadband — Mozilla Firefox.png

bmc
Hero

@electrosphere 

OK, what you need to look at is "Waiting List" over to the right. So long as it stays like this then FTTC isn't available.

It may be there's no physical space in the cabinet for new equipment or they have plans but they haven't born fruit yet.

You need to keep checking (perhaps on a daily bais) and if it changes to Available then wack an order in ASAP and hope for the best.

Brian

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@electrosphere  The title for your thread is absolutely correct, waiting list indicates that at the present time there is no FTTC available. Whether this will change soon or sometime in the future is totally dependent on Openreach upgrading their equipment or if you are lucky someone cancels their FTTC service and a port becomes available. I would suggest you stay on ADSL for now but keep checking for FTTC showing as available, it it is get an order in very quickly.😊

Edit: I was a bit slow but basically agreeing with @bmc 🙄

electrosphere

Thanks guys, I will keep checking. One day BT will get around to upgrading this corner of London. Whats funny is that I got fibre from my old address which was a village in Hampshire, I moved to London last year thinking fibre was available everywhere. Reality is different.

What annoys me is that the price for ADSL Broadband is not much cheaper than Fibre or even Full Fibre despite those being 6x faster. If I was paying £10/month then I would stick to ADSL.

bmc
Hero

@electrosphere 

You could try your post code on the OR site just to see if it says anything (I doubt it).

https://www.openreach.com/

If you dig through the site I think you'll find an enquiry form but once again you're unlikely to get anything more than a generic answer.

Brian

Mav
Fixes: 515

When I moved last year I took two PN contracts with me. Initially both were showing 'Waiting list' so went with ADSL but soon one became available a few days later. I agree with @bmc as soon as it shows available place the order - on my second line I delayed and missed that spot. I'd say it was around 3-4 weeks before both lines had FTTC installed.

I was checking multiple times a dayCrazy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

electrosphere

@Mav many thanks for sharing your experience and approach.

It makes me think this is possible without having to wait in the dark for Openreach to upgrade. I will try and update my experience here for others.