cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie advice

robbieb

Newbie advice

Hello,
I would like some advice on switching some services from my current ISP to Plusnet. We have signed up to the Business option 2 package on a spare analogue line.  We intend to once everything is up & running, cancel the broadband service with Demon & terminate the analogue line it's currently running on.
We currently use Demon to admin the mx records & our company domain name renewal. We host our own email server but this comes through an anti spam/virus service called maildefender which is sub contracted through Demon. We wish to keep this maildefender product & have been informed we can deal direct with them.
We also have our company website hosted by another company & wish to keep this the same.
I would like Plusnet to do the admin of the mx records & our company domain name renewal, what would be the procedure so we don't have a break in service?
14 REPLIES 14
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Newbie advice

Hi robbieb,
This depends on the TLD (i.e .co, co.uk etc). It's most likely that an update of the name servers to : ns1.plus.net (primary) and ns2.plus.net (secondary). Once done you'd need to request that we enter the domain on our systems.
Let us know the type of domain and I'll be able to give you some more specific advice.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
robbieb

Hi Adam.
It is a co.uk domain.
Cheers.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

OK, In that case a change of name servers it is. Once that's been done and confirmed raise a ticket on the portal and we'll enter the domain on our systems. That means that hosting is kept with the current people and all that would be transferred to us would be DNS.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
robbieb

Hi Adam,
"OK, In that case a change of name servers it is"  Is this something I have to inform Demon of or you guys?Huh
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: robbieb
I would like Plusnet to do the admin of the mx records & our company domain name renewal,

I think you'd struggle to find anyone more expensive than Plusnet!
Why not move it to someone like 1&1?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
robbieb

Hi jelv, so there is a charge eventhough Plusnet will not be doing the hosting, just the admin.
I wonder how much they will charge for these services, we shall see Smiley
jelv
Seasoned Hero

http://www.plus.net/support/hosting/domains/cost.shtml
£52.88 for .co.uk
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Plusnet own www.just-the-name.co.uk - they only charge £9.99. You can find cheaper than that.
robbieb

Sorry to sound a bit dumb but who ever I decide to go with, be it plusnet or 1and1, what is the procedure?
Do I have to inform Demon that I will be going elsewhere as far as the admin or just sign up to a new provider & they do the rest? All I am after is that the company emails still work, website still up & no break in service. The cost is not biggest issue for me, just the least hassle.
Cheers.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Guys,
Just to clarify we're not talking about moving the domain to us for billing etc. Here's what I'm reccomending
1, contact the admin within your company that hosts the domain and ask them to change the name servers to the following:
primary: ns1.plus.net
secondary ns2.plus.net
It would be worth mentioning that you don't want to change the IPS tag as this would mean that billing for the domain also transfers to us if that did get changed.
2, raise a ticket with us asking us to enter the domain onto our DCS (domain control system)
3, set up your MX records (and other DNS records if appropriate) via our member centre.
The end result will me you paying the company for domain renewal where as DNS is hosted with us.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
jelv
Seasoned Hero

That's not what he asked for!
Quote from: robbieb
I would like Plusnet to do the admin of the mx records & our company domain name renewal

If he has to go to another company to do the domain renewal I can't see the point of moving the DNS to Plusnet if they have their own mail servers, intend to continue using maildefender and have their website hosted elsewhere.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I would like Plusnet to do the admin of the mx records & our company domain name renewal, what would be the procedure so we don't have a break in service?

may be I misread or misinterpreted this, we all make mistakes. Sorry robbieb, I got it in my head for some reason that you wanted your company to host the domain rather then us to host your domain.
The instructions I've given will work if you want us to manage the domain for DNS but want another company to look after the billing side of things. IF you want to do that you'd need to find another company for hosting.
As Jelv pointed out there is our sister company pay as you host. If you do go down this path once you've chosen what host to go with ask what their 'IPS tag is' then give this to the current hosts, that will effectively change who is responsible for billing you.
Hope that clarifies things.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
AlaricAdair
Champion
Fixes: 1

Before going to 1 & 1 be sure to read their Ts&Cs very carefully so you fully understand the charges they levy!  Cheap is not necessarily inexpensive.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
robbieb

Adam,Jelv & Alaric Adair
Thanks for all the advice guys, been a big help so far. I shall take your advice & go with www.just-the-name.co.uk, this looks like by far the best & most economical solution for us at the moment
Cheers Smiley