cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New build house - Mifi?

thekelticfringe

New build house - Mifi?

Hi - I'd be interested in people's advice and views.  I'm fortunate enough to be building my own house in rural Scotland.  A new hard-wired telecoms connection for Openreach is many £'000 so I'm thinking of a wireless home router and 4g connection (coverage is good - already checked). 

I stream Spotify, watch TV and catchup, the occasional film (say two a month) and do the usual emails, social media and stuff.  I'd guess I am a light to medium data user.

1) Are there any home wireless BB users on here?  If so how has it been for you?
2) Although I can find 'unlimited' packages I hear that data is rationed and that a choke is applied.  Is this of real significance given my usage profile?
3) Can anyone hazard a bit of a guess at my likely monthly data consumption?  I am not tech in this area and since Plusnet have removed the data log thingey I can no longer see it on my bills.
4) I've heard from someone who works in the industry that Openreach will start to dismantle the copper network 'in the next few years'.  Any comments as to the accuracy of this?

Thanks very much in advance for any thoughts - particularly on points 1-3.

6 REPLIES 6
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: New build house - Mifi?

You could always look at satellite as well https://www.thinkbroadband.com/guides/satellite-broadband-guide

Openreach will at some point in the next millennia want to replace the copper with fibre cable, butit doesn't mean they will stop providing wired comms.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
thekelticfringe

Thanks Dvorak. I have looked at satellite and a friend fairly close geographically had this. She found it good when it worked but unreliable and that upload speeds very slow. In her case in the end she got fibre but, for me, distance makes this very expensive

No-one I know has really used wireless home broadband. So I'm hoping to learn some real world experience, particularly regarding performance and data rationing.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Well I’m not at home currently and using 4G mobile exclusively for internet access with an iPhone 6S.
I have a 6GB sim only plan with Plusnet This month (since 11th) I’ve used almost 4GB of my 6GB data allowance which includes using iPlayer to catch up with 3 episodes of “The Capture”. Each one (SD) used about 600 MB of my data allowance. Had I had the option for HD each would have used over 1 GB.
The remaining usage has been using the BBC news app, including (many) video snips and these forums.
David
thekelticfringe

Cheers David - that's really helpful.  Please excuse my ignorance but would the fact that I'm considering using it for TV etc *at home* make a difference?  Or is data data?  So an HD TV programme is ~1gig whether viewed on yr phone or on a TV?

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Data is data no matter how it gets to you. With smart TVs turning on HD is easy but I was trying to warn you doing that will soon make a big hole in your allowance. Adding the numbers up carefully will avoid shocks.
You’ve already found mobile data is expensive. In fact my iPhone won’t install the next OS over mobile, it is insisting on having WiFi for this (1.3 GB).
David
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@thekelticfringe 

Is this of any help to you? https://community.plus.net/t5/Mobile/Unlimited-Data/m-p/1674364#M15669

You will need to read the fine print to see if there is a choke applied and if so at what level. I would try a few monthly contract SIMs from different companies and see how it works out.

I have a Huawei E5577 MiFi router that I use for holidays and as a back up. This is unlocked so will take any SIM. It also has sockets for external antennas if you are in a poor reception area.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'