Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Web Hosting Preview - Details

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: New Web Hosting Preview - Details

I'd switch or go to a separate dedicated hosting package.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
stonechat
Grafter

I don't often frequent these forums (fora?) and was horrified I am losing my frontpage support, even worse the address.
If all my addresses I give out to people, of pages within my frontpage site are going, then I will doubtless leave plusnet, I can do better elsewhere. It's really the only reason I stay.
A generalised redirect would be not good
I want my addresses to stay valid. Full stop.
Or I go
End of story
And I 've been with plusnet some time
steed
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I have the same issues that you have.
Me and my friends are only with PlusNet because of the website hosting. We have been long time customers (8+ years) and use Frontpage because it was easier to use when it first came out in the early days of website designing.
dick:quote
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Guys, Microsoft ended support for Frontpage back in 2006 and they haven't released any updated Frontpage server extensions since 2002.
It was absolutely inevitable that a time would come whereby the support of a legacy product like FrontPage would start causing problems for us when it came to updating server software and protecting against security vulnerabilities.
We will try and protect the fp.username sub-domain but I can't promise anything at this stage I'm afraid, I'll get back to you as soon as I know more...
I know the situation isn't ideal but it's largely out of our control and if you were to leave your website URL would change anyway! Huh

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

mentalist3d
Grafter

frontpage just shouldn't be used, you will get cleaner code for your sites using dreamweaver, Frontpage can make a right mess of your coding.
@steed: If you are only with PN for their webhosting, why dont you go to a company that provides web hosting as their main service? No offence to PlusNet, but, PN is an ISP, which they are very good at delivering (in my experience), the web hosting they provide, seems like a "bonus" feature, a free gift, if you will, IMO. Personally, I would rather stick with an ISP because the are delivering a good ISP service, not because of their web hosting.
If your sites are small, there are plenty of Web Hosting companies that will be able to host your site at a really cheap price (just make sure you do a google background check on them though), and as for addresses, I'm assuming you are talking about URLs (yourdomain.co.uk), these can be registered cheap through 123-reg or Just the Name and you own the name until you decide to give it up or stop renewing the domain, so you can move your site from web host to web host if necessary and not worry about the domain as all you need to do is make sure the domain name is pointing to the correct location (usually your web host will take care of this)
stonechat
Grafter

I don't have Dreamweaver and unlkely to get it
Frontpage is nice and simple for me
Bob
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

Adobe Dreamweaver CS4 (PC) - From Amazon.co.uk is: £410.12 From £383.74 not cheap, But I have got a old version of it v3
pierre_pierre
Grafter

not amined at Gary, but do as I had to do, buy a book for £20 and learn how to program the proper HTML and not M$S basterdized non standard version
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

pierre, I do use Dreamweaver v3, plus Netscape Composer v4.7 plus Notepad and FrontPage.   Wink  Smiley
And I have a eBook on Dreamweaver, and it makes your head hurt.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

that why I said not you Gary, I was lucky when I started a US Professor was doing a weekly Teach yourself course on the internet, free
mentalist3d
Grafter

Quote from: pierre_pierre
not amined at Gary, but do as I had to do, buy a book for £20 and learn how to program the proper HTML and not M$S basterdized non standard version

I was taught on Frontpage at college, I dont know why, because I have never seen any web design company actually use FrontPage, but anyway, that's exactly what I done, bought a book on HTML, and just went through it, until I learned it. If your going to design web pages, you should at least take some time learning how the code works, makes it a whole lot easier to fix problems if something goes wrong.
mal0z
Grafter

The problem is that Dreamweaver too can produce some rubbishy code if used in Design mode - a;though not nearly as bad as Frontpage.
I just had to learnt html and CSS etc - and then using Dreamweaver is fine. Trouble is it is so expensive.

I just don't know what to recommend to new amateur web designers - that is a reasonable price ?
the open socue programmes such as NVU are fine if you know some html/css - but I don't think suitable for new people Huh
mentalist3d
Grafter

Someone recommended NVU to me, ages ago, so I tried it, and honestly I was lost, I couldn't use their interface at all (this was several years ago though), I dont know if they have changed their user interface since then.
I just don't know what to recommend to new amateur web designers - that is a reasonable price ?

I know what you mean, I haven't seen much products, out there for the new user. Sometimes coffeeCup software can be helpful, but I'm not sure about their html editor, as I've never used it, but most of their software is reasonably priced, and you get free updates for life which is a plus Smiley
mal0z
Grafter

I don't think NVU has been updated recently - but someone branched it and made a few changes I believe.
The other trouble with some of the so called beginners programmes - is they produce horrendous html/css code - and debungging it if it does something wrong is very tricky - and of course Dreamweaver can produce very suspect code as well !.

Pazzer1

Thanks for the unpacking guide etc. This is all good stuff for a refugee like me -fresh from the Frontpage server collapse fiasco.