cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Web Hosting Preview - Details

sgraham

Re: New Web Hosting Preview - Details

Quote from: spraxyt
The new PAYH server has cgi-bin and httpdocs folders on the same webspace which seems to meet the requirement you describe. Why not sign up for a preview account at http://trials.plus.net and give it a try?
David
Yesterday, I enabled (old-fashioned) CGI on the assumption that my script would be able to access my webspace files via a common file system, which I can see now isn't the case.
I've now signed up to trial PAYH, but it's a pity that I'll have to have a different domain name, and re-upload all my content, all for 12 lines of Perl!
oldgustav
Grafter

My question is about monthly traffic limits on PAYH. My present account limit is 1536Mb/month but when I look at the figure alongside the three domains I now have hosted it says domain a, 33.4Mb/month, domain b, 18.8Mb/month, domain c, 16.9Mb.month. I haven't set these individual limits and all attempts to edit then have failed. What's most worrying is that, unless my sums are wrong, I have a limit of just 69.1Mb/month of data traffic. Is this an error? And when I hit the limit what happens? Do my websites become unavailable?
Sorry - ignore this post, the figures I'm referring to are actual traffic not data limits, I had misunderstood the figures.
xpcomputers
Grafter

Are those really the limits for each domain, or are they running totals of how much has been used so far this month?
Mike
oldgustav
Grafter

Err-um, yes, I corrected my post once I realised.
xpcomputers
Grafter

No probs... I got distracted by an email mid-reply... so the corrections weren't there when I hit reply.
Glad you sorted it.
Mike
klyne
Grafter

Residential Options:
* £0 per month - 250Mb Storage, 1.5Gb Data transfer per month, 1 MySQL DB, Standard Apps. Community Support Only
* £2.50 a month - 350Mb Storage, 2Gb Data transfer per month, 3 MySQL DB, Standard Apps + Premium Applications (when available). One month free trial to all customers choosing this option.  Telephone / ticket support available on PAYH number.
Business Options:
* £0 per month - Community Support Only, 500Mb Storage, 3Gb Data transfer per month, 1 MySQL DB, Standard Apps
* £5 per month - Telephone support, 750Mb storage, 5Gb data transfer per month, additional features. Telephone / ticket support available on PAYH number. 3 MySQL DBs, Standard Apps + Premium Applications (when available). One month free trial to all customers choosing this option.

Sorry if I have come into this a bit late and I will admit to only reading a few pages but may I comment. Perhaps I should first add that I am greatful that Plus Net are looking at this subject. I have a website that takes all of my 250mb webspace allowance and about a year ago I had to buy extra space and went to Streamline who I felt offered good value. It seems to me that £2.50 a month for an extra 100mb of space is not very good value compared to what you can buy elsewhere in the market. For that amount extra a month I would expect a minimum of 500mb (total) space.  Unlike others web traffic is not really a problem but space is. I suggested some time ago that Plus Net allow extra space at an extra  monthly premium, so a step in the right direction but to me the amount of extra space needs to be review. If Business account can have a total of 750mb for £5 a month why not Residential?
David
paulcobb
Grafter

I would just like some clarification regarding safe mode being enabled.
I know it has been said that this is related to security issues, but I currently use a paid-for hosting prover to host one of my sites and there seems to be no issue with them having safe mode off, shell access etc.
The site I was proposing to trial on the PAYH server uses software that will not run in safe mode and therefore I'm a little disappointed that it seems an 'easy option' to enable safe mode and then suffer the reduction in functionality.
Adam1V
Grafter

Re: [PAYH] FAQs, Tips & Setup Guides for the new platform.

This is all great news, but I dont think you can turn the CCGI off as early as April.
ffupi
Grafter

If the old CCGI-platform is switched off in April my charity webpage will go down with the whole ship. It runs on Typo3, but on an old version for php4. So an upgrade would be brilliant - with lots of work.
The main question for me would be: are symlinks then enabled on the new platform?
jamessealey
Grafter

Quote from: spraxyt
The new PAYH server has cgi-bin and httpdocs folders on the same webspace which seems to meet the requirement you describe. Why not sign up for a preview account at http://trials.plus.net and give it a try?
David

Having only just started developing the site I am hosting on PlusNet in the lastmonth, I am keen to keep up to date with all the developments re the CGI space changes.
If I was to sign up for a 'preview account' would that account then be the one that goes live, or would I then have to setup a new account once everything has changed over?
fredor
Grafter

The site http://trials.plus.net does not reference the PAYH trial.
Has this trial ended?
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I think the posts in the Benefits of PAYH/Plesk over Plusnet standard web server topic provide answers to the questions asked in the previous two replies.
David
fredor
Grafter

Thanks for your quick reply.
The system seems to be a bit of a shambles at the moment, but as I understand it, the trial has ended and the free residential PAYH category no longer exists.
dick:quote
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

That's my understanding of the position.
David
abush

I run a small website on behalf of a charity and want to switch to a site that they can self manage (content management system). Most solutions available on the net require php5. I've read the various discussions on PN Community about the trial of Plesk, PHP5 access to PAYH, customers paying or not, what's available and what will be available free. It appears PN intend to offer php5 free for PN customers but not when it will be made available. Can someone please confirm the time scale? The broadband subscription the charity has is up for renewal and I need to know whether php5 will be available free to existing customers in the near future or whether they switch to another ISP who does offer php5 as part of their included hosting.
Thanks