cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Static IP address seems to be blocked and PlusNet Helpdesk are unable to help!

FIXED
piphind
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

New Static IP address seems to be blocked and PlusNet Helpdesk are unable to help!

I have recently purchased a Static IP address from PlusNet because I want to be able to host a few small website from a web server on my Synology NAS. 

Having got the Static IP address I find that I cannot access it as it appears to be blocked!

Using tracert I get the following...

Tracing route to username.plus.com [Static IP address]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     2 ms    12 ms     2 ms  router.lan [***.***.*.*]
  2    14 ms    22 ms    15 ms  **.**.**.***
  3    15 ms    21 ms    11 ms  basl-core-2a-xe-718-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.252.229.157]
  4     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  5    30 ms    17 ms    17 ms  m686-mp2.cvx1-b.lis.dial.ntli.net [62.254.42.174]
  6     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  7    16 ms    17 ms    18 ms  uk-lon01c-ri2-ae-4-0.aorta.net [84.116.135.50]
  8    15 ms    26 ms    24 ms  166-49-214-197.gia.bt.net [166.49.214.197]
  9    19 ms    18 ms    18 ms  166-49-214-169.gia.bt.net [166.49.214.169]
 10    20 ms    19 ms    24 ms  core2-hu0-6-0-1.colindale.ukcore.bt.net [109.159.252.159]
 11     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 12    34 ms    21 ms    37 ms  gi13-0-3-444.ptn-ag04.plus.net [84.93.253.78]
 13     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 14     *        *        *     Request timed out.

15     *        *        *     Request timed out.

When I try to ping it, it times out!

When I use CanYouSeeMe.org I get ...

Error: I could not see your service on Static IP address on port (80). Reason: Connection timed out.

Having spent a couple of hours on the phone to the helpdesk I am none the wiser and no further forward.

Can anyone help?

37 REPLIES 37
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: New Static IP address seems to be blocked and PlusNet Helpdesk are unable to help!

Which router do you have? If it's a Hub One then it won't respond to pings.

You need to have something set up and port forwarded for it to be seen by canyouseeme

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
dvorak

Re: New Static IP address seems to be blocked and PlusNet Helpdesk are unable to help!

Moderators Note

This topic has been released from the spam filter. 

Customer / Moderator
piphind
Dabbler

I have a Plusnet Hub One!

Are you saying I cannot use a StatiC IP with this device?

I am trying to access my webserver via my Static IP on Port 80 and it is timing out!

I have port forwarding set up!

dvorak

No, I'm not saying that. I'm saying that it won't respond to a ping and possibly traceroute.

Have you set up a web server on port 80 and forwarded ports in the router?
Customer / Moderator
piphind
Dabbler

Yes.

I have a webserver setup, with a web page on it.

Port 80 is forwarded to the web server

dvorak

It would appear something is misconfigured then, because it should work.

Can you connect to the website within you local network?
Posting a screen shot of the router config might be useful too.
Has the Synology been given a static IP?
Customer / Moderator
piphind
Dabbler

I can connect to the website internally - Yes.

The synology does have a static IP.

Can you expand on what you want to see from the Router config please?

dvorak

The port fowarding rule
Customer / Moderator
piphind
Dabbler

Port Forward Rule.jpg

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

Have you checked the Broadband Firewall settings found in the members centre, from the landing page navigate to

Broadband > Broadband Firewall. for port 80 to be allowed I expect you will need to turn it off,  it is important to restart your Hub One if you change the setting.

In the past so I do not expose port 80 to the public I have added a port translation where I translate the outside port to say port 50080 to port 80 on the inside. To connect to you webserver you would need to add :50080 to the url

http://<your public IP>:50080

My broadband Firewall is set to low.

HTH

piphind
Dabbler

Dan,

The firewall in the member centre is set to low.

The firewall on the router is currently switched off!

The router is physically turned off and on after each change (rather than just re-starting).

I could try the alternate port approach as you suggest but none of the things that I have tried to date have made the slightest impact on the fact that the connection always times out (pings timeout, tracert times out, canyouseme times out although there has been a suggestion that these may do that regardless!).

Plusnet said that they would re-apply the Static IP but it is still the same as the original (i was expecting a new IP but maybe I am wrong on that).

I am going to try a factory reset of the router next to see if that helps but I doubt it will.

Champnet
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 11

I've worked with several routers that just won't allow connection to the external side from the local network.

Easiest way to get around this is by using a mobile, disconnect from Wi-Fi then using mobile provider's network try to connect to domain name, if available, else the router's external IP address.

If it doesn't work then check that port 80 is open using Shields UP .If the port is shown as open check the Synology security settings. Make sure external access is not being denied.  ->control panel, security, protection, allow/block list

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

Hi,

I am no longer using a HUB One but I have checked with my router and with the Broadband Firewall set to LOW I created a port forward rule for port 80 and I can connected to a webserver. 

This confirms it should work.

In the event log looking the firewall category can you see connection attempts to your webserver? 

As @Champnet mentions has the webserver got a firewall blocking connections, also is the webserver looking for connections from any IP address, netstat should show the IP address listening on 0.0.0.0 on port 80

piphind
Dabbler

ShieldsUp.jpg