cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Starter - Lil Advice Needed

Flexing

New Starter - Lil Advice Needed

hi guys, im not too sure on these things, im still learning...i wanted to ask about a test server? is there one to go with the php & cgi functions we can use for our webspace...basically i just want to make a simple blog...using wordpress...so im setting up dreamweaver to upload files etc, and design n edit the pages...i defined a new site on dreamweaver, i've entered the ftp login details, which all work...but its asking for a test sever address? where do i get this from? is there one? or do i need to test localy on my machine.
thanx guys. any help apreciated. Undecided
4 REPLIES 4
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: New Starter - Lil Advice Needed

Just leave it blank, you don't need it.
Just do all the coding locally then upload to your ccgi webspace. If you were in a situation where you had a live version of wordpress and wanted to try out a new version / layout, just create another install of wordpress in another folder on the server and locally and use a different table prefix for the database. Then do your testing to get things working then just upload it to your live area.
Flexing

ahh i see! thanx, i've left it blank...one other thing...i activated my cgi from the website control, am i supposed to get an email with the details? because when i check the space through the browser i just get an error...even though it says its activated on the site.
glyndev
Grafter

Activation can take a while (up to 3 or 4 days). You will get an e-mail. You just need to wait for it to arrive.
Flexing

ahh thas not a problem then, i thought it might take a while.
thankyou for ur replies. Grin