Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Domain Name

logical
Grafter

New Domain Name

Hello,
I have a quick question regarding domain names. I have two domain names, both of which are now managed through Plus net. The one given to me by plus net points to /htdocs which subsequently points to my ccgi webspace with the use of a .htaccess file.
The additional domain name currently points to the same place as that described above. This is not what I want however. In the managment utility on the plus net website, I have set this other domain to /htdocs/folder; folder has an index.html file in it. I was expecting this .html file to be loaded when the domain name loaded, but it just acts in exactly the same manner as the plus net domain name.
Does anyone know was this is happening and how one could retify this situation.
Thanks in advance,
Logical
3 REPLIES 3
glyndev
Grafter

Re: New Domain Name

Ditch the .htaccess file as this is not needed.
Raise a ticket and ask +net to set up your DNS to point "www" for the appropriate domain to the ccgi server.
Or if you know how to use  the Domain Control system on the portal edit the domain records for the domain to point "www" to the ccgi server.
Here is what is needed : (this assumes you are on +net and not f9 etc)
In the 'Left field' enter www
In 'Type' select cname
In the 'Right field' enter ccgi.username.plus.com. 
[notice the trailing full stop. this is important]
If on f9 etc the .plus.com. would be as appropriate
You will also need to raise a ticket and ask support to "Set your cgi service to basic" in order for the domain records to work.
logical
Grafter

Devonports,
Thanks for your help but I am unsure of how that actually solves the problem. Doesn't that just do the same thing that I currently have set up: my www webspace pointing to my cgi webspace?
I thought that .htaccess was the correct way to do this. The real problem is that my other domain name (free from plus net) points to the same place despite the fact that I've changed it to what I think is correct in the plus net domain management utility.
Thanks,
Logical
glyndev
Grafter

.htaccess and DNS are totally different. DNS is a worldwide database that never touches the www or ccgi servers.
It is the .htaccess file that is not working correctly for whatever reason. That is why both domains end up pointing to the ccgi server.
Ditch the htaccess and raise a ticket saying that you wish to point www. for your domain to the ccgi server and support will do this for you and the problem will be solved.