Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network and system uptimes

FIXED
Leapy
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 3

Network and system uptimes

I'm noticing that my system uptime (the router be that a Plus One hub or a BT hub6) is always much, much longer than the network (openreach/plusnet) up time. (see example on images, this morning at 5.44am).

I can understand, that a download for firmware, to the hub, may force a system restart to the hub, but why would the network, keep on needing a restart and would this have any impact on my actual line speed?

Could it be a fault on the line to me?

up - Edited (1).jpgScreenshot 2020-08-13 at 10.12.20 AM - Edited.png

14 REPLIES 14
Leapy
Seasoned Champion

Re: Network and system uptimes

And again early this morning 

Network disconnect dataNetwork disconnect dataSystem uptime and Openreach Network uptimeSystem uptime and Openreach Network uptime

Leapy
Seasoned Champion

And again this afternoon!

reboot.jpgScreenshot 2020-08-17 at 5.59.34 PM - Edited.png

Buttercup
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi @Leapy, I've run a test on your line and there's no underlying fault that I'm able to see, but it does indicate that these disconnections could be due to the way your home setup is wired.

I've raised a ticket on your account with some steps for us to take to try and resolve this.

Jess Moore
 Plusnet Help Team
Leapy
Seasoned Champion

@Buttercup  Thank you 🙂

I have followed your advice and have un plugged the router from the microfilter in the master socket and have now plugged the microfilter directly into the test socket of the master socket, and both the router and phone directly into that microfilter. 

There is an increse in both download speed and upload speed as per the image.

This is the first time I have seen such speeds, both up and down 🙂

I have also reported that on the ticket. 

Thank you for your proactive actions in this matter 🙂

master test socket.jpg

Leapy
Seasoned Champion

@Buttercup  as requested The current setup both phone and router in microfilter in the master socket test socket.The current setup both phone and router in microfilter in the master socket test socket.

Buttercup
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

So glad to hear you've seen some improvement @Leapy! With that in mind I'd like to monitor your connection over the next couple of days and do some testing over those days to see if the issue has been removed by this. I'll update you again tomorrow on our next steps via the support ticket on your account.

Jess Moore
 Plusnet Help Team
Leapy
Seasoned Champion

This morning's network outage at 5.45am. The hub was up for 20 hours and the network for 17 hours.

On the positve, we were all asleep and the download and upload speed has improved 🙂 

20 hours plugged into the test master socket and 17hours later kicked off network20 hours plugged into the test master socket and 17hours later kicked off networkThe network disconnectThe network disconnect

Leapy
Seasoned Champion

@Buttercup Network down at  16.15 today, system up for 2 days, 3 hours, 36 mins.

Network uptime and system uptime.Network uptime and system uptime.self booting network error time and issueself booting network error time and issue

Leapy
Seasoned Champion

@Buttercup  The network went down again at 5.45am this morning 😞 

Now network up 5 hours and system hub up over 3 days and 22 hours.

Looking back, through these posts, it did it once before at exactly that same time! Is there somthing that Openreach do at that time that may force a restart?

System up over 3 days, network  5 hours! :-(System up over 3 days, network 5 hours! 😞The forced network restart at 5.45amThe forced network restart at 5.45am

Leapy
Seasoned Champion

@Buttercup  It did it again at 16.15pm  this afternoon and has also done it at the same time in the past, as with the 5.45am.

Could this be a recuring pattern?

I've now put the infomation on one image 🙂

downtimeinfowithout.jpg

Leapy
Seasoned Champion

@Buttercup It did it again at 5.45am this morning and has also done it at the same time in the past, as with the 16.15pm, network outage, which also recurs at that time!

This MUST be a recuring pattern. Please advise 🙂

I've now put the infomation on one image 🙂

downtimeinfo12.jpg

Leapy
Seasoned Champion

As you know, the BT Hub 6 router is stable and up all the time, (over 14 days) but the network was going down twice a day and maybe linked to some regular electrical event, at around 5.45am and 4.15pm.

4 solid days up for network (14 days for router system)4 solid days up for network (14 days for router system)ADSL surge protectorADSL surge protectorFour days ago I purchased a B-830B RJ-11 ASDL SURGE PROTECTOR and replaced the lead from the microfilter to the BT hub6 with a twisted pair cable and gold plated connectors. The result is it has been up for just over 4 days and no outage 🙂 

I am still plugged into the TEST socket on the master socket, but the connection is good and stable at last and much better than it has ever been 🙂

Leapy
Seasoned Champion

Network currently up 5 days 7 hours and it looks like the B-830B RJ-11 ASDL SURGE PROTECTOR and replacing the lead from the micro-filter to the BT hub6 with a twisted pair cable and gold-plated connectors may have worked 🙂

If you would like the link to the ones I purchased, I will add the links below.

The B-830B RJ-11 ASDL SURGE PROTECTOR was £3.98 on Amazon

The RJ-11 twisted pair cable and gold-plated connectors was £9.95 on Amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Telephone-Extension-Broadband-RGB-Networks-White/dp/B07BRW6T8Z/ref=sr_1_13?... 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007JIPMGS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

Leapy
Seasoned Champion

Fix

As you know, the network was going down twice a day, 😞 and I'm pleased to say that the network has now been up for 7 days, with no outage, 🙂

I will now plug it into the normal socket (not the test socket) on the Master socket and hopefully, it will keep performing as it has been 🙂

So I will now close this as resolved 🙂

Thank you guys at Plusnet for your help and support in this matter 🙂