cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netflix 25% Buffering

Techsearchuk

Netflix 25% Buffering

Been running Netflix of a humax 1100 box and keep getting the 25% issue.

I have just purchased a Fire TV box and disappointingly have the same issue which leads me to think it is a Plusnet problem.

I'm on the unlimited fiber 76mb package with Plusnet home hub.

Are there any settings in the router I can tweak?
Tags (2)
11 REPLIES 11
MrSilver
Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: Netflix 25% Buffering

Hi,
Sorry to hear you are having problems. My Netflix via humax stb hasn't had problems, just watched hummingbird (rubbish!).

If you google Netflix 25% it seems lots - BT, virgin, sky, us isps, ps4s, smart tvs all have issues.

Not one thread can say what happened at 25% I assume it's something like picking which server to use or something that is causing it to get stuck.

Can you try via a pc and see if it's the same?

Have you changed your dns settings as far as you know?

Have you tried a full power off of hub and humax box the turn on?

A mix of them have helped others elsewhere but for others it doesn't.

If it was a specific plusnet issue I think there would be a lot more messages on here, but let's keep an open mind as they have had a few network issues recently.
watsonm
Grafter

I'm having this issue as well. Had a fruitless 1hour on the chat line to Netflix who suggested it was a network instability problem and to contact my ISP.    He didn't appreciate my comment that all other apps seem to recover gracefully after network issues even if that was the problem.   As a retired software support engineer I gave him a list of everything that I had tried including the stuff on their help page (like rebooting the router, etc...)

extra things I have tried :

Modified MTU in router

Modified DNS servers in router (tried 6 different ones)

Modified DNS in TV network settings

Selected lowest quality in settings menu

Limited Broadband throughput

The only resolution is to turn the TV off for a couple of minutes and then turn it on again.  As I drill down to the film again it usually asks me to set up the network and then I can resume.  To me this implies the app has somehow locked up the lan port on the TV. 

By the way the app on my Android Phone and the PC work fine! 

He got me to run a broadband speedtest on the TV  using two different websites and because they were different  he said

"I just confirmed that as the results are different on the same page (Fast.com) it indicates that there is indeed a setting that is causing your network to be unstable , but no worries you can totally contact with your ISP and tell them to adjust the setting that is causing this up and downs."

followed by:

"no problem that totally indicates that the network is unstable as the internet speed is different that the last time and because the devices are getting different speeds , I really recommend you to contact your ISP and tell them to adjust the settings on your network as you are getting different speeds on different devices, they will understand it right away and they will fix this for you, no worries you won't have to move a finger they will do it for you."

What more can I say, other than any help appreciated.

Mike

Plusnet Fibre 80/20 Netgear R7000 and Netgear DM200
Plusnet customer since 2002
Plusnet Mobile since 2017
Tags (2)
MrSilver
Pro
Fixes: 9

Hi,
If it works on app/pc the it does seems more like a to issue.

Couple of things to make sure
1. Force the tv to do a firmware update
2. If you can delete the Netflix app and re-install it again on the tv

Out of interest what tv model do you have?
watsonm
Grafter

Hi,  Thanks for that MrSIlver,

1) No firmware updates available   (3059 is latest firmware)

Panasonic TV   Panasonic_E7  network attached to router via Home Plug

Netflix app:

nrdapp 2013.2.64/

nrdlib 2013.2.64/

mdxlib 2013.2

mdxjs 3.3.1-r94

nrdjs v2.21.31

2) Does not allow me to delete in-built/pre-installed app and I cannot find a Netflix app to install.

He did admit that they supplied the app to the manufacturers and they make updates based on the hardware.

So wondering if Panasonic have any clues....

Mike

watsonm
Grafter

Just tried a new experiment.  Was playing a film and when it froze I just removed the LAN cable from the TV and re-installed it and the film picked up straight away.   Will try this a few more times before I pass it on to Netflix (just in case they are interested!!) 

Mike

watsonm
Grafter

Just to confirm after further tests that after a film  locking up a quick removal and re insertion of the TV lan plug allowed the film to restart.   This is the workaround with the shortest time lag that works for me.  

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@watsonm wrote:

Panasonic TV   Panasonic_E7  network attached to router via Home Plug

My bet's on the 'Home Plug(s)' ... have you got a long Ethernet cable you could try connecting direct to your router?

For 2-3 years I've been using several ZyXel powerline connectors for some parts of my home network, including feeding my Samsung TV.  Whilst the TV is normally OK, I do experience some problems occasionally, usually when streaming high bitrate 4K stuff from my NAS.  I even sometimes get problems streaming low bitrate Internet radio to other another device!

Also I get problems with some other devices such as some IP cameras when the 'mains LAN' is overloaded; this can vary from day to day, or hour to hour, depending on various things such as mains-borne interference etc.

I'm looking forward to the time when I get around to installing structured Ethernet cables to all points of use so that I can finally ditch the powerline adaptors.

NEVERYOUMIND

Hi,

We had the same issue using (plusnet) ADSL with Netgear DGND3700v2 and homeplugs, so upgraded to plusnet FTTC "30-40Mbps", and changed to new homeplugs. Still have the same problem. Having read the thread, we get the same result with the ethernet unplug/plugging - thanks! I don't want to drag the furniture about getting to the homeplug every time we use on-demand, though.

Plusnet, if you're listening, please help.
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Why is it PNs problem?  Huh

Edit: PS I don't work for PN despite my username. Wink

NEVERYOUMIND

Good point. But actually, on talking with others (even Virgin users), it may be higher up than ISP-level.
NEVERYOUMIND

Scratch that - I managed to get a 10m Ethernet line from the modem/router in for a trial. Silky smooth Youview box operation, and no buffering! Before doing a tidy permanent installation, I've moved the modem/router, and homeplugs to the same room as the TV etc., and works with 'low bandwidth stuff' (cartoons) so I'll try with Netflix tonight.