Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need some inspiration

Jekyll
Grafter

Need some inspiration

Hi everyone,
I am in need of some serious inspiration, I know I have my forum now setup, but it would be nice if I could also have a website, which the forum can then be tied into.
This is all well and good and sounds nice, but I don't have much of a creative side anymore..........I don't really understand also how quickly the 250MB Webspace will get used up.
Anyone got any suggestions..........?
A couple of years ago I had a thought of doing something about the board game "Chess" I enjoy it but am hopeless at it.
My idea was to make a website that enabled people to log into and play Chess with each other, and for a table of results of matches to be on the site for people to see where they stand in an online/offline tournament, a stats page if you like.....and I don't know if such a thing exists whereby the stats would update themselves, to save me having to keep changing things manually.
But I guess this may not only sound ridiculous but also be impossible to do..........hence my daft and lack of ideas mentality  Roll_eyes
Jekyll  Wink
3 REPLIES 3
Jekyll
Grafter

Re: Need some inspiration

Thanks PJ for the reply, I probably think it best to wait awhile to see if my forum takes off, (that's another problem for me, getting it out there so to speak) then if I get people who like Chess I may be able to go ahead with the idea, pretty pointless otherwise.
I don't know what it is with me anymore, in that I just cannot come up with anything original that will stand out.......its not that I am too lazy, far from it, but I find myself in a trance like state, not being able to think of anything  Embarrassed I must be a strong contender for the most boring person around  Grin
Thanks anyway PJ
Jekyll
Grafter

Well we'll blame it on the Monitor's then shall we? as they seem to do it to you, our eyes get trans-fixed at them and the brain goes into meltdown, well mine definately does  Grin
Prod_Man
Grafter

@Jekyll: I have had the same thought, with my own website,
about 1 & 1/2 years ago when I was really well into PHP I've not embarked on it just yet though Cheesy
Yeah, it's possible by utilising the Database functionality (MySQL) through PHP (As PJ suggested, also how I would do it myself :)).
You'll need to design a set of tables.
Tables

• tbl_users: Users / Members Table - Holds user Information.
  • tbl_game: Game Table - To hold Game ID's and which player is playing who
  • tbl_game_data: Game Data Table - Related to Game Table by Game Identity Number (or String / Similar solution)

Thats obviously excluding all the columns, that all depends on how you want to structure it.
You'll also need to desgin the Forms and process of page movement.
I would design it something like so-
Root Directory

• /chess/includes/db.php
  • /chess/index.php
  • /chess/actions/move.php
  • /chess/actions/challange.php
  • /chess/actions/scoreboard.php
  • /chess/actions/login.php

... etc
That means that you use index.php for every function the page has to do.
By making it call (when necessary) the appropriate files.
Makes editing very easy and allows greater control as a modular design.
Then use PHP to process. Checking against invalid moves.
You could create Client side checking with JavaScript if you were really wanting an enriched user interface.
As standards over things deviate with Web Browser design, I'd just use PHP to check invalid moves, much simpler.
Just some food-for-thought to get you started incase Smiley
Jim,