Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Admin Access to Legacy "FreeNetName" Website Hosting

FIXED
towertheatre
Dabbler

Re: Need Admin Access to Legacy "FreeNetName" Website Hosting

Thanks very much, Dave.

Will someone post here or otherwise contact me when it's completed?  I don't have access to the account directly as mentioned above.

Thanks,

Alexander.

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi Alexander

The task updates will come back to myself, so as soon as I know more, I'll update you here accordingly.

Take care

Dave

towertheatre
Dabbler

Whatever someone did approximately three hours ago (at about 15:00 BST London-time) knocked the entire site offline and I'm it's unreachable with the following error:

Screenshot 2019-08-26 at 18.23.44.png

My understanding was that changing the IPS tag wouldn't nuke the current DNS registry, but perhaps it has?

Could someone please look this up ASAP and fix it?

Also, could you please share some sort of a PlusNet case number here so that when I'm talking with someone from PlusNet customer service on the phone (which I've been trying to do for three hours), they can find some reference to this issue?

niall_anderson
Hooked

Snap !
What have the Plusnet tech team done.

This site can’t be reached www.hbs.org.uk’s server IP address could not be found.
Try running Windows Network Diagnostics.
DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

This is a major issue to a Glasgow-based hospital radio charity as the on-line listening option is the key link from the website and right now we've got requests from patients and no easy way for them to listen online.

niall_anderson
Hooked

Based on two sites that were hosted by freenetname originally both having been knocked out, i've a strong suspicion that the entire freenetname legacy hosting landscape is affected. 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi @towertheatre 

Doing a who.is lookup the IPSTAG is still set at Madasafish and the name servers are with Plusnet.

We'll get this investigated further by our NetOps team and update you when we know more. I can see Dave added a comment to your support ticket 193338149 at around noon today with the task number INFOPS-19418

To set expectations as it's a bank holiday nothing will happen tonight I'm afraid.

Apologies for the inconvenience this causes.

Hi @niall_anderson 

Thanks for reaching out, I'm sorry to see you're having issues with your domain.

Could you PM me your account username so I can investigate further please.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
towertheatre
Dabbler

Thanks Gandalf, and thanks Niall,

Good to know that it's not just us, and appreciate the tracking of this case - it's an almost 20-year old legacy account that's gone through three or four acquisitions so I know that it's not a simple matter!

Appreciate the attention on a holiday, and will be available over the next days if there's anything you need from me, but otherwise will let you get on with it and be patient.

All the best,

Alexander (for the Tower Theatre)

niall_anderson
Hooked

Looks like we have some positive news as I can see that both of the websites are now accessible again.

Thanks to whoever rolled-back the change that caused the issue.

Niall...

towertheatre
Dabbler

Glad to hear that they're up for you, but for me and three others in my community at least, ours is still down with the same errors as above, unfortunately.

niall_anderson
Hooked

Interesting as  www.towertheatre.org.uk  was definitely available at 1:30am this morning

Niall...

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Fix

Hi Niall.

I can't see any changes we've made last night however I'm glad to see that this is sorted for you now.

Hi Alexander, we've changed the IPSTAG of your domain this morning. If you've not done this already you'll need to update the nameservers to your new host via their control panel for your domain to work with them.

I hope this helps.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@Gandalf wrote:

I can't see any changes we've made last night...

Apart perhaps from thisWink

For clarity, the issue linked above will almost certainly have affected domains hosted against legacy Freenetname accounts.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for the confirmation @bobpullen although I wasn't too sure as we resolved that this morning after 1:30am.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet