cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEW WEBSITE - help please.........

alison1957

NEW WEBSITE - help please.........

Hi I have put together a few web pages - purely a family thing and I am not interested in search engines as the site name will only be given out to people I want.
I did use Microsoft Publisher to make the site and saved it as index.htm and tried index.html.  I successfully signed onto ftp://username.plus.com and uploaded my files and can see the whole webpage with the links etc. etc. but in the title bar it is showing the location of the documents in MY DOCUMENTS.  I can click from page to page etc.  however when I open up a new tb in IE and type in my website name which is www.alison1957.plus.com, I just get a page showing Index of/
Index of / 
Name                    Last modified      Size  Description
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Parent Directory        03-Oct-2005 13:04      - 
2Alison.html            21-Nov-2007 23:12  232k 

Can anyone throw light on what I am doing wrong and please bear in mind that I am in way technical just want a few homepage bits up on the web.
Thanks.
Ali
15 REPLIES 15
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: NEW WEBSITE - help please.........

I see
Alison & Rose’s Newsletter
Christmas 2007

Try refreshing the page using CTRL+F5
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
suesykes
Grafter

Comes up ok on mine!!
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Comes up ok on mine as well.  Wink
samuria
Grafter

none of the links at the bottom work for me with Firefox
ffupi
Grafter

The pages look realy good. The music is good. The links don't work in FireFox.
It loaded so slow with me that I checked it with "view source"
Incredible: 5700 lines of html-code for the home page alone. If it is printed out this would be 130 pages A4.
How did you do that?
For comparison: the webpage I am using has for the homepage 308 lines html-code, and these are produced by a very code-heavy content management system. This current PlusNet page has 639 lines code.
So there is some urgent need to clean up!
On the top it says: "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office". Is this a proprietary microsoft office file saved as "webpage"? I was always warned not to do it this way, but to learn html or to use a proper html-coder.
Happy Christmas
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I looked at the source and you have built your site with microsoft office publisher, that is the worst way to build a web site.
There is a number of free publishing programs out their.  Don't use microsoft.
hulls
Grafter

Hi
The site looks good, but as others have said, Publisher makes the files quite big and relatively slow.  I think it's because it basically saves each page as a huge graphic, and then adds hotspots for the links (but maybe I'm wrong, what do I know?  Grin )
You'll also get warnings about adding email addresses to the site, because they will get picked up by spammers.  So if you add them, use ones that you don't mind dumping after a while.
I use M$ Frontpage (waits for the groans and howls to subside) and quite like it.  I think they used to do a "lite" version but don't know if it's still available.
Keep up the good work
John
alison1957

Thanks for all your advice and information.  I am going to try and re-do it using a different software - when I have found one that even I can understand and use easily Smiley
suesykes
Grafter

Dreamweaver is very good, but takes a little learning time.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Quote from: littlerick
Dreamweaver is very good, but takes a little learning time.
.....and is expensive
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

There is a really good FREE online site builder that Bob showed me, www.weebly.com
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
jabberwocky

Excuse me if this is a numpty question, but when I joined plusnet years ago there was a easy way to do your own web page, it seems now you have to use a web builder, I have been looking at the weebly site and it looks quite good for my level of expertise  Roll_eyes
The qestion is, plusnet host my domain name, weebly say it would be easier if I transfer to them, will this affect my email address and functionality through plusnet, as i use my site address as my email address not my plusnet email address?
Sorry if this doesn't make much sense, it's all a bit arrrrgggh for me  Grin
glyndev
Grafter

Of course they are going to say that it would be easier if you transfer to them, they want the income.
Everything would be affected, email the lot.
Sign up for free, create your pages, save to your local machine,  then upload to your plusnet webspace.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

That site works OK in Linux Firefox - including the links at the bottom. It appears to include a huge pile of M$ proprietary code that does noting. You could easily throw away 90-95% of the HTML.
PS Don't use front page. It restricts your choice of servers which can host your pages.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."