cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MySQL database space, website space

origamimark

MySQL database space, website space

I have been doing quite a bit of work on my website - origamimark.co.uk - and was wondering how much space I have been allocated for the MySQL database, how much space for the website content and cgi scripts, what happens if I exceed those limits, and how to get more if I need it ? Anyone out there know the answers to these teasers ? Thanks.
3 REPLIES 3
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Re: MySQL database space, website space

Your flat database files are in /databases in the root of your webspace I believe. The file sizes should offer some clues. You can see how much disk space you're using by opening either the File Manager or Disk Manager in the Hosting Control panel.
At the moment there's no penalty for exceeding your allocated disk quota by a small amount, however Hostopia will suspend sites where there's excessive disk utilisation (I've seen a customer with single database tables in excess of 500MB before).
There is no recognised mechanism/process for requesting additional storage.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

origamimark

Thanks, Bob.
I had a look at the disk usage and file manager tools in the portal, and although the former does list my databases, in separate directories, they seem to be empty and so it is silent on space used.
I have a mySQL script that is supposed to tell me how much space I have used, broken down by table and index space. It reckons I have used just over a megabyte of both combined, which I just do not believe, so wanted to double check.
This was all brought on when I had a cgi script that went into a non-terminating INSERT loop a couple of weeks ago that I could not stop. I left it running, thinking either someone would notice, it would run out of space, or the system would notice the task was an orphan, and kill it. Not sure what happened in the end, but I am pretty sure that must have consumed lots of space, The table contained over 220,000 rows next morning, but at least that count had stopped going up. I don't think I had run out of my allocation of space, because I could still perform insert activity on the database.
Any clues as to how site suspension would manifest itself ?
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Quote from: origamimark
I had a look at the disk usage and file manager tools in the portal, and although the former does list my databases, in separate directories, they seem to be empty and so it is silent on space used.

Try in an FTP client. I see file sizes using FireFTP.
I have a mySQL script that is supposed to tell me how much space I have used, broken down by table and index space. It reckons I have used just over a megabyte of both combined, which I just do not believe, so wanted to double check.

A PHP admin utility like phpMyAdmin can also confirm database size; when logged in, select the database and click 'enable statistics'. When I do this, it actually reports much less than what I see using an FTP client (13KB versus 44KB). I suppose another option wouljd be to export the database and check the file size locally?
Any clues as to how site suspension would manifest itself ?

I can't remember off the top of my head, although I think your database/FTP write access gets disabled. There are other oddities too, like your files not being visible when using the File Manager in the Hosting Control Panel.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵