cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MySQL and php

cjh
Dabbler

MySQL and php

This might be an obviously idiot question, but I find myself as an inexperienced user of webspace wondering once more ...
After all the help given on the forum and by Matt in sorting out a solution at Plusnet with activating a cgi space (in another topic), which enabled me to successfully run php, I'm thinking about MySQL - I had thought that this was part of the same space, that it also ran in the same cgi space, but now am not sure and I can't find a direct reference in help to tell me one way or the other.
In other words, I had assumed that having and activating cgi (and thus php support) also brought MySQL as well. Before I use a load of time trying to use code that relies on MySQL, can anyone tell me whether this is the case or not? How can I determine if the space supports MySQL?
4 REPLIES 4
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: MySQL and php

MySQL is sepret to CGI
cjh
Dabbler

Okay, thanks, I had started to suspect that. So is it the same as cgi, that there would be an activation route to switch it on?
(You can tell that I don't have any such 'click here' type of symbol to click in the same area as the cgi activation - when there is nothing there, you can't tell if there should be or whether something happens elsewhere).
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

You need to activate MySQL separately.
If you go to the member centre My Account - Website Settings menu (login required)
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=mywebsite&?membermenu=websitesettings
You should find an icon marked MySQL in the centre box. Click that, then the 'activate' button on the next page. You should then receive an email with login details for your MySQL database. Note the password is nothing like the one for your account.
You can access your database for maintenance by clicking the MySQL Administration link, and dynamically access it using PHP MySQL commands programmed into your cgi programs.
David
cjh
Dabbler

Thanks for the confirmation - I had started to guess this was the route. As with my original situation with cgi, though (since corrected and added by Matt/Plusnet), I don't have any such icon. Because there was nothing there, it wasn't obvious to me that there might be or should be.
Matt - if you are reading this, any chance of sorting out an icon for me to activate the space, as you so helpfully did with cgi? I gather there would normally be two icons, one for each of cgi and mysql, where there is only one ...