Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MySQL Administrator problem - SOLVED!

SoulBriski
Grafter

MySQL Administrator problem - SOLVED!

Hi
I've got two completely independent PlusNet accounts, Work and Home. For the purpose of this thread i will refer to them as work and home
I have MySQL Administrator installed on my PC at work and use it to connect to my work_pn database. I want to use it to connect to home_pn as well but i am having the following problem when i connect to MySQL Server instance.
Could not connect to the specified instance
MySQL Error Number 1045
Access denied for user 'home'@'work.plus.com' (Using password: YES)
Server Host: humbug.plus.net Port: 3306
Username: home
password: **********
All the info in the connection dialog is correct but it would appear that because i am at work, i can only access my work account because there isn't anywhere that i can find that i have specified 'home.plus.com' within MySQL Administrator
Can anybody help me out with this?
4 REPLIES 4
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: MySQL Administrator problem

Are both accounts actually using humbug? PlusNet have 2 MySQL servers, the other one is called rumpus and a plusnet account may be assigned to use one or the other - this will be detailed in the MySQL activation email.
You are using the MySQL password detailed in the email and not your portal password?
SoulBriski
Grafter

Hi Peter
Yes, both work and home happen to be on the humbug server.
Yes, the password is the one that came from the dbcreator@plus.net email
The problem appears to be related to the fact that it knows to connect to 'work.plus.com' but i cant find anywhere that i have referenced that.
I've checked all the xml files in the install location, I've checked the registry and I've checked through all the options and config settings in MySQL Administrator. I cant find 'work.plus.com' anywhere so it must be server side in which case it must be related to the fact that i am connecting to my work broadband connection?
Hope this makes sense
zubel
Community Veteran

It looks to me like the MySQL permissions have been set up to only allow you access from the relevant connection.
It may be possible to request access from another site, but I wouldn't hold your breath as it would be outside the realms of something that could be handled in Workplace.
Possibly worthwhile raising a ticket asking if you could have access from 'work'@'home.plus.com' and 'home'@'work.plus.com'
B.
SoulBriski
Grafter

Solved Grin
I deleted both my home and work stored connections from within MySQL Administrator and closed it.
I re-launched it and entered the credentials for my home connection and it went in straight away, no probs. However, becasue this was not a stored connection, there were some areas i couldn't interact with. ie. Backup Schedule.
I added both home and work as stored connections and now everything is fine and i can very easily connect to either my home or work databases. Smiley
The help files don't explain any of this but i would definately recommend MySQL Administrator as it is far better, quicker and easier than the online method of administering your databases.