cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My new phpBB forum ---- myusername appears in browser address bar --- eeeek !

taly

My new phpBB forum ---- myusername appears in browser address bar --- eeeek !

Can anyone help?
I recently installed a phpBB forum on the PlusNet cgi server. I installed it into a subdirectory named 'bb'.....this should not be a problem.
Trouble occurred almost immediately when my username appeared in my browser's address bar .. like this: www.mydomain.com/~myusername/bb/
Notice the tilde (~).
The PlusNet support team sugested this '~myusername' effect was due to 'SUEXEC' on their server and I should include an htaccess file in my root folder to stop this occurring.
htaccess used:
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !(.*)/$
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.mydomain.com/$1/ [L,R=301]

This has worked in as much as '~myusername' does not appear in the browser address bar........but it still appears in other files...the Terms and Conditions for instance and the Private policy page. It appears like this:
By accessing “myforum” (hereinafter “we”, “us”, “our”, “”,“http://www.mydomain.com/~myusername/bb”), you agree.... etc..,etc.
The phpBB support team inform me that this problem is nothing to do with their forum software but lies with the server (PlusNet).
I cannot have this happening! I do not want users seeing my account name.
I guess there must be a variable in the php that is assigned with the users name/address that could be changed or hard coded with what I would like to see.
Can anyone throw me a line?...........I need some help!
Thanks in anticipation, Taly.  Huh
2 REPLIES 2
Gabe
Grafter

Re: My new phpBB forum ---- myusername appears in browser address bar --- eeeek !

I guess it will have ended up in your server settings. I think there was a similar issue in this thread.
Gabe
taly

Re: My new phpBB forum ---- myusername appears in browser address bar --- eeeek !

Thanks Gabe...for pointing me in the right direction.....It's working fine now.
For your interest I had to do the the following to get it to work:
1] remove my previous installation and the .htaccess file
2] upload the latest phpBB to the root directory and NOT a subdirectory as before
3] edit the .htaccess file that was installed with phpBB to include the trailing slash fix
4] install  and set the server settings during the install to force URL settings etc..
Now I can't find ~myusername anywhere .........excellent !
Many thanks
Taly  Smiley