cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My first CGI site - newbie alert ;-)

TonyOCL
Grafter

My first CGI site - newbie alert ;-)

As we can't use front page anymore I started trying to create a web page with CGI.  Basically it is a one page html file which on POST calls a .php program.
It DOES NOT work ;-).
when I click on the button that does post it tries to down load the php file.
I have a few questions and comments
1) I have enabled CGI on my site
2) in the old days all files went into /htdocs/.. is this still the case
3) I changed the permissions of the .php file to 750 but think I need to somehow tell the server to run .php rather then download it... how is this achieved.
4) is there a CGI console I am missing as I am just uploading my two fle site with Filezilla?
Thanks in advance for any guidance and sorry for the newbie question
Tony
3 REPLIES 3
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: My first CGI site - newbie alert ;-)

If you are seeing a /htdocs/ folder in your webspace you are on the homepages server which can only handle html pages. For PHP you have to use the separate cgi server. When you activated cgi the email sent to you includes access details appropriate to your account.
More information is given in the links on the Help & Support page here.
David
TonyOCL
Grafter

I suspect that email came out a few years ago.
Is there a way I can get a copy of the instructions on migrating my website to be cgi controlled?
it wasn't important them 😉
Thanks
Tony
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

If you no longer have the emails that accompanied activation of your cgi space (and MySQL) you will have to raise a ticket asking for copies of the information to be sent to you again.
The links on the Help & Support page here provide basic guidance for making use of the space, in particular mention of A Beginners Guide to PHP. It is also essential that you read and understand the CGI Platform PHP Upgrade FAQ.
The UserGroup Tutorials also provide guidance, albeit some of it superseded by shell/telnet access being disabled and the platform upgrade mentioned in the previous paragraph. The CGI/Shell Server Basics tutorial was updated with the help of a Community user.
David