cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My WordPress website keeps failing to load since migration - Please help.

jtonline
Grafter

My WordPress website keeps failing to load since migration - Please help.

Since my WordPress blog (link under my profile photo) was moved to Hostopia, I have become aware that the main page frequently doesn't load in a browser.  Sometimes it will load OK & you can navigate around the site for a short time and then it will fail to load a page at random.  I have tried different browsers (IE, Chrome, Firefox, Safari) and from different physical locations at different times of the day with the same result.
Sometimes the browser will just try to load a page, "waiting for..." for a while and then give up altogether, at other times the main article will eventually appear, but the sidebars with WordPress generated content from the database  (List of categories, Blogroll, Last 10 entries & Archives) will be blank.  If I refresh the browser a few times the web page will display properly.
If I look at my Google Webmaster Tools report, I can see that since the move, Googlebot has started to report crawl errors due to server being inaccessible "this may be due to a misconfigured or busy server".
I'm not sure if this is down to an intermittent problem with access to my area of the server where the WordPress files reside, or access to my SQL database, some load balancers somewhere or what.  Can someone have a look at resolving this issue for me?
Thanks - Jules.
6 REPLIES 6
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: My WordPress website keeps failing to load since migration - Please help.

Quote from: jtonline
I'm not sure if this is down to an intermittent problem with access to my area of the server where the WordPress files reside, or access to my SQL database, some load balancers somewhere or what.  Can someone have a look at resolving this issue for me?

It's not going to be easy Jules Undecided
Are the Googlebot errors consistent? i.e. do they always point to the same area of web content? We have another ticket open about other link crawlers returning 403 errors due to them not presenting a recognised user-agent string.
I'd be very surprised if this affected Google's spidering though and it certainly shouldn't result in the problems you're reporting.
I'm wondering if the pixel code that the Analytics application uses may be something to do with it? You can disable this on the 'Advanced' tab of the Analytics app. Might be worth giving it a go and seeing if it makes any difference?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Superman911
Grafter

How did you move the site over or did they do it?
jtonline
Grafter

Quote from: Bob
It's not going to be easy Jules Undecided

Oh dear Sad
I had hoped some sort of investigation from your side would show there was a problem.
Are the Googlebot errors consistent? i.e. do they always point to the same area of web content? We have another ticket open about other link crawlers returning 403 errors due to them not presenting a recognised user-agent string.
I'd be very surprised if this affected Google's spidering though and it certainly shouldn't result in the problems you're reporting.

No, there were only a few crawl errors and they were on random sections. I've cleared the graph and will check back later.

I'm wondering if the pixel code that the Analytics application uses may be something to do with it? You can disable this on the 'Advanced' tab of the Analytics app. Might be worth giving it a go and seeing if it makes any difference?

Thanks for the suggestion, I wasn't aware that there was a pixel code  :), however when I went into the Analytics app on the new Control Panel as you suggested, the pixel code was enabled and so I have disabled it.  Strangely though, no analytical data has been collected by the app as all the reporting options come up empty  Huh  I don't need the PlusNet provided analytics though.
Sadly, since disabling the pixel code, the intermittent page load problem is still occurring  Sad  The worst is when the front page won't even load, as I imagine a visitor would just go elsewhere.  If the front page loads you can navigate around different areas of the blog quite happily for a while and then all of a sudden a page won't load.  If you wait 3 or 4 minutes it might load OK or you might get the web browser's 'Can't Display Webpage' error.  Refresh the browser window and it may load the page just fine.
I have removed the affiliate link adverts and cookie advisory box as they both relied on connections to external domains, but that hasn't made any difference.
I think the Tweets and the JavaScript for Google Analytics and Pinterest 'Pin It' buttons are the only elements left that are outside of the PlusNet webspace now.  I could try disabling those but I'm reluctant to change functions of the website that have worked perfectly well in the past.
I might upgrade WordPress (now that it's possible to do so) and perhaps try a new theme.
Quote from: Superman911
How did you move the site over or did they do it?

PlusNet did the migration of files and database.
- Jules.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Try upgrading Wordpress Jules and let me know how you get on.
Regarding the missing analytics, make sure you're selecting the relevant domain from the management drop down in the Hosting Control Panel because each has its  own Analytics instance.
If you can replicate the problem fairly readily then it may be worth while using the developer console in Firefox or similar to see what's happening when the page doesn't render properly:
Tools > Web Developer > Network

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

jtonline
Grafter

Try upgrading Wordpress Jules and let me know how you get on.

I have now upgraded my installation of WordPress to the latest version and changed the design theme.  I'm pleased to say that the site now appears to be consistently rendering properly at it's new home Smiley
The new theme uses featured images of various sizes for the blog posts whereas my previous theme didn't; so It'll look a bit messy until I sort out some images, but I can live with that Tongue
- Jules.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Glad to hear it's sorted Jules Smiley

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team