cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Domain on ccgi webspace has stopped working! Help!

FIXED
Vega
Rising Star

My Domain on ccgi webspace has stopped working! Help!

Please help, since last night, my domain name is no longer working! http://www.sounds-familiar.info

It should be pointing to the ccgi webspace

9 REPLIES 9
mikelahey
Pro
Fixes: 12

Re: My Domain on ccgi webspace has stopped working! Help!

Its reporting a 500 Error which usually means something's crashed on the web server. Have you tried logging a support ticket with your hosting company?

Vega
Rising Star

Hi Mike

Yes, my host is PN so I’ve given them a call and they are on the case. They are fast tracking due to the high number of visitors I get. Googlebot hasn’t visited yet but I’m due one in the next 24-hours based on patterns. Fingers crossed it gets sorted. Don’t t want a rank drop.
Vega
Rising Star

I've had the most confusing of replies from support....

Thank you for your patience. Our network team have looked into the query and they have explained the following below: The domains point to an external web hosting server hostedc50.megawebservers.eu (91.136.8.9) These are who you need to be contacting about this query. Hope this helps.

If my memory serves me right, this is PlusNet's own provider for their migrated CCGI webspace. Does anyone have contact details for them?? Please Help

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Oh dear Sad

Whilst this space is on Hostopia hosting, their customer is Plusnet not you and Plusnet need to use their control panel facilities to resolve the problem (raising tickets to Hostopia if necessary).

Please could @bobpullen or one of the Help Team Staff members assist in getting this progressed?

David
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi Vega, I've just added a response to the open ticket on your account, here's a direct link to it: https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=180250072

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Vega
Rising Star

Thanks for your response Adam. There seems to be a misunderstanding among support about PlusNet's old legacy products. The server address (hostedc50.megawebservers.eu) is related to Hostopia and was implemented by PlusNet themselves back in 2014 as part of the migration of the ccgi webspace back in 2014. I played no part in specifying that server address. Also please read Spraxyt's post above which I believe is the way forward.

Looking on file manager in hosting.plus.net, I may have gone over the disk space limit which I have now resolved by removing a load of old log files. Hostopia may have removed access to all the domains as a result. However, disappointingly I was not forewarned at any time about approaching my limit :-(. This may or may not be the reason.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): A near duplicate post released from Spam Filter and subsequently removed.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Fix

@adamwalker, all of @Vega's domains are hosted on our CGI servers.

@Vega, I've taken a quick look, and I suspect I know what might have happened...

If you look in your root webspace directory though, you'll see a number of hidden files (starting with a dot), named like this:

.threatscan_infected_<date><time>

You'll also notice a directory named .threatscan_quarantine that seems to contain directories/files from some of your Wordpress plugins.

To see these directories, you can either use the File Manager via the Hosting Control Panel, or alternatively configure your FTP client to display hidden files/folders.

Whilst I'll admit not being familiar with the approach (first time I've seen anything like this), I reckon Hostopia may have identified malicious/compromised content on your websites, and moved the affected files/directories into the hidden quarantine folder.

When you then try browsing to your sites, you're getting a blank screen or 5xx error because content is being called that is no longer where it's expected to be.

If you have a backup somewhere then you can try restoring from that. If you don't, then you can try moving the quarantined content back to it's proper location, but I'd be careful because some of those files may be infected or placed there maliciously.

The alternative is that we contact Hostopia, however I've a feeling it may be quicker you trying to sort it out yourself (that may also be the advice they give).

Whatever your approach, you'll need to ensure that all of your CMS/plugin content is fully up to date, patched, and none of your files have been compromised once things are back up, else risk similar happening again.

Hope that helps.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Vega
Rising Star

Thanks @bobpullen @spraxyt @adamwalker for the support. Bob was bang on. I now have all sites back up and running. It was a rogue plugin that was being exploited. A vital php file and some plugins were being quarantined which caused Server 500 errors across the board.

If anyone is interested I fixed it by downloading a fresh copy of Wordpress locally and using FTP to upload the missing vital quarantined files.. (it wasn't many at all). I renamed my plugin folders to plugin-old to get any remaining broken sites to work. Then I deleted any remnants of quarantined plugins. I then reverted the plugin foldername back and activated/updated all my other plugins one-by-one. 

Thanks all

Mav
Fixes: 515

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): The fix has been changed to @bobpullen as per message#8

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still