Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Blogs

TonyN
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Multiple Blogs

I would be very grateful for any advice about the following:
My Plusnet site already hosts a Wordpress blog that has been in existence for a long time but at the  moment gets very little traffic.
Now I want to set up another temporary Wordpress blog, with a different domain name, to help the village I live in fight a road scheme that would probably kill it off commercially.
Is it possible or practical for me to do this? Are there technical considerations that would cause problems where the MySql database is concerned if I try to set up a second blog?
I am not a technical genius
2 REPLIES 2
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Multiple Blogs

Having more than one WordPress blog in your cgi webspace is not a problem. I have four in mine. Smiley
Physically the files for each one would be placed in separate folders with .htaccess directives used to internally redirect page requests to the appropriate folder. The address(es) entered in the browser would not need to be aware of where the files are actually located.
When WordPress is being set-up, along with the database access credentials there is a table-prefix setting. This defaults to wp_ so I assume your current blog uses that prefix. For a second one, if you change the prefix to wp1_ or wp2_ (as desired) the tables supporting each blog will be entirely independent of each other. So no problem.
The second domain name would need to be hosted by Plusnet and aliased to your ccgi webspace. Requesting this requires a ticket raising at https://www.plus.net/wizard/.
Older posts in this forum provide examples for .htaccess content and DNS settings. But those steps are down the road for the moment.
David
TonyN
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Multiple Blogs

Very many thanks spraxyt!
It's a while since I've had to deal with these things, so I'm about to apply an ice pack to my cranium and have a very hard think about what you are saying there.  But you have told me what I wanted to know: that it is possible.
Next I need to set about finding a suitable name, getting folks to agree it, registration etc.