cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving site to ccgi area

allied
Dabbler

Moving site to ccgi area

Hi  novice here and sorry to be asking what has been asked before but having developed a new site in the ccgi area which is working and accessible via ccgi.allied.plus.com  we now need to it be found as www.allied-images.com .  So I've gone to our dns record area in plusnet and set the details as follows;
allied-images.com.  a    91.136.8.9 
www  cname    ccgi.allied.plus.com.
Remembering the '.'  That was 24hrs ago and I cannot still access the site on www.allied-images.com .  I was not sure in PlusNet whether I also need to untick 'I wish to have this domain hosted automatically under my webspace'  and tick the 'Other' option ' I wish to specify DNS records for hosts under this domain'
Do I need to change my .htaccess  file.
Any help would be appreciated.
8 REPLIES 8
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Moving site to ccgi area

Welcome to the Community forums. Smiley
The DNS entries you made seem to have propagated OK so your domain URL should go to the Plusnet hosting cgi server. However once we get there has the server been configured to host the domain?
If you login to the hosting control panel (https://hosting.plus.net/portal/), then click Manage Websites, does the Currently Managing drop-down selection list include www.allied-images.com?
If it doesn't you will have to raise a ticket (the Help Assistant should allow that) to get it added.
If that is already configured - it looks like you current ccgi site is Joomla driven. Has that added a .htaccess file in your web root (/public) directory?
David
David
allied
Dabbler

David thank you for your help
I've checked the Currently Managing area and it shows ccgi.allied.plus.com it doesn't show www.allied-images.com so does this suggest it could be the problem?  if so i'll raise a ticket as suggested.
Steve
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Yes, unless a domain alias has been configured on ccgi the server won't know which pages to serve when visitors arrive at the server (using your domain URL) so they get a rather unfriendly configuration error. To get this fixed you need to raise a ticket using the Help Assistant (https://www.plus.net/wizard/). Click on My Plusnet Hosting (CGI) - you can ignore all the checks it lists - and fill in the panel explaining you want to alias www.allied-images.com to ccgi.allied.plus.com. And that you've already set up DNS.on your Plusnet account domain control panel.
Once the alias is set up using the domain URL will take visitors to your /public directory. Are there any .htaccess files in / or /public that cause redirection from there?
David
David
allied
Dabbler

David,
I'll get the ticket raised thank you.
There is a .htaccess file in the root folder it contains
Options +FollowSymLinks -MultiViews
# Turn mod_rewrite on
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteRule ^cgi-bin(/.*|)$ CGI-BIN$1 [L,NC]
php_flag magic_quotes_gpc 0
php_flag register_globals 0
php_value display_errors 1
php_value error_reporting 32767

no other .htaccess in the public folder. 
Steve
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Steve,
That .htacess rewrite rule is a special one to make /public/CGI-BIN emulate the /cgi-bin we had on the old CCGI server. My /cgi-bin wasn't used so I got rid of that rule. That meant the /cgi-bin in the root directory reverted to its original purpose. However in your case leaving it in place should be fine.
Once the domain alias is set up the new URL should access your existing site as intended..  Smiley
David
David
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Should be sorted now Steve Smiley

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

spraxyt
Resting Legend

Using the domain URL to access the site now works for me.  Smiley
David
David
allied
Dabbler

Guys,
Thank you for your help, everything is now working and we can get on with our proper jobs Smiley
Steve