cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving name servers to 123-Reg and 365 Urgent!

AlFox
Grafter

Moving name servers to 123-Reg and 365 Urgent!

Hi
I currently have a website, email and nameservers with Plusnet. Our website is registered with 123. We want to move the email to Outlook 365 and at sometime in the future move the web hosting to another provider.
It looks like to best solution is to first move to use the 123 Name servers as there are some restrictions on the Plusnet DNS settings. See post http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php?topic=136291.0

Q1 Will there be any problems accessing the website (and in the short term email) if I move the name servers to 123?
Q2 Are these the correct settings for the 123 DNS settings, and are they in the correct order:
Myname.co.uk   A                 91.136.8.9
www           CNAME     ccgi.myname.plus.com.
@                 MX       20         mx.avasin.plus.net.

Thanks
Al

7 REPLIES 7
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Moving name servers to 123-Reg and 365 Urgent!

Quote from: AlFox
Q1 Will there be any problems accessing the website (and in the short term email) if I move the name servers to 123?

Yes.
Plusnet have to host the domain themselves (which means they have the name servers) in order it recognise the domain on incoming requests to the web servers (and on incoming mail).
While the domain is hosted by Plusnet there is no problem changed the Plusnet DNS entries to point to servers not run by Plusnet so you can amend the mail entries to point to Outlook 365.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Quote from: spoon
While the domain is hosted by Plusnet there is no problem changed the Plusnet DNS entries to point to servers not run by Plusnet so you can amend the mail entries to point to Outlook 365.

The OP may be concerned that they can't add the recommended TXT record that Microsoft suggests when pointing to a 365 instance. I don't believe this is necessary though and it's possible without. Having said that, if you're expecting to use certain VoIP/Lync functionality then I think you need the SRV records and we don't support those either.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

jelv
Seasoned Hero

If he needs those DNS entries then his only way forward is to move the web hosting to another provider as he can't have the name servers elsewhere and still have you host the web site?
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

That's right.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

AlFox
Grafter

Spoon/Bob
Thanks for the responses.
I understand there is a workaround for the fact that PlusNet DNS doesn't allow TXT entries
However, I thought that the DNS/Name Servers could be separate from the website hosting - so I'm a little more confused now.
Is the tie between name servers and website hosting just a PlusNet restriction is will I have the same problem if I move the website hosting to another provider and keep try to use 123-Reg name servers?
I'm also thinking beyond 365 email to when I need Lync, etc
Thanks again.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

The hosting/website tie in is a Plusnet thing. There is no way of configuring the Plusnet systems to recognise the domain name when a request for a page comes in unless the domain is hosted by Plusnet and that means the name servers are with Plusnet.
Other suppliers are likely not to have the same issues, but you'd need to contact them to ask.
AlFox
Grafter

Spoon
Thanks for the confirmation. I thought perhaps I was wrong and that the nameservers/web hosting has to be provided together - I looked at TSOHosts and they tie it together but some other don't.
It's certainly not something that's widely advertised.
BR
Al