cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving main Phone box

Mackem1973
Grafter

Moving main Phone box

Hi For some reason my wifi is really terrible when i have my pc in my bedroom my prefered location for my PC so i am having to have it in my living room beside my window which over looks a very busy main road. I was wondering  if it was possible to have my main box moved to my bedroom and who would do it BT ? and aprox cost 
Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: Moving main Phone box

BT has to do it and I think they charge about £160. There are however other solutions. First which router have you got? If it's a Hub Zero then changing it for a BT Smarthub 6, about £15-20 on Ebay could fix it.

Othe solutions include an extension cable that you install yourself between the BT master socket and your router, Ethernet cable between your router and bedroom with a Wireless Access Point installed in your bedroom, a WiFi booster or powerline devices with a wireless remote unit. All these solutions cost less than £160.

They each have advantages and disadvantages. If you want to go down this route then come back with a few more details if you need further advice.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Mackem1973
Grafter

I think my main problem is my router is picking up between 8-10 other providers as i live in a flat above a lot of business's  my cable is also pretty long as it goes from one end of my flat to the other, It works perfect when hardwired  but its terrible when i connect using wifi. I wouldn't have a clue how to to add extentions and i have tried a booster and it makes very little difference

Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Other things to try are ensure your 2 bands have separate SSID's.
Get a wifi analyser app to see which channels are least populated, and use those.
5ghz band is less busy at the moment.
SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 96

Hello @Mackem1973,

Sorry to hear this is happening and is impacting your wireless connection.

I would recommend The steps @Gel has recommended first, starting with the app first. This will allow you to see what channels the other provider's routers are on and allow you to work out which channel would be best.

By splitting the channels it allows you to rule out the 5ghz radio frequency interference with the 2.4ghz.

Give these ago and let us know how you get on.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team