cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving Home - Plusnet says Fibre Not Available - BT&SKY et al say it is available.

Rossco9384
Hooked

Moving Home - Plusnet says Fibre Not Available - BT&SKY et al say it is available.

Hi,

We're moving home in the next couple of months and currently a happy customer with Plusnet. We did a speed check on available broadband to the new address and it says it's fibre enabled, however on the Plusnet site it says it's not. Is it likely that the Plusnet site is wrong? we wont be able to stay as a customer with the speed drops to what is advertised on Plusnet site (4-7mb).

14 REPLIES 14
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: Moving Home - Plusnet says Fibre Not Available - BT&SKY et al say it is available.

Sounds like the new address MIGHT be FTTP ( Fibre to the premises) rather than FTTC ( Fibre to the cabinet). In which case that would explain it, since PlusNet are not currently offering an FTTP product.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Rossco9384
Hooked

Re: Moving Home - Plusnet says Fibre Not Available - BT&SKY et al say it is available.

Many thanks and I think you're right! just did a check on OpenReach and they do indicate it has FTTP...probably means I'll be leaving Plusnet then... really can't manage going from 40mb+ back to 11mb.

kryptor
Hooked

Hi @Rossco9384 

Had a similar issue with a home move a while back.  Turned out that the local DSLAM had been completely occupied at the time of the move.  They migrated across to a standard ADSL package on slower speeds against what you say are available to you.  As soon as the BT engineer had activated the line at the property I was able to call back up and request an upgrade to Fibre (I made sure the agent on the phone logged that this was what was originally requested at the time the home move went through)!!  Watch though as they tried to threaten me with a termination fee as I was going from Fibre to ADSL .... I quite politely told them where they can go with that one too!!

Took about a month from the request of home move to get it all migrated and active on fibre anyway Smiley

Hope this helps your search with information.

Rossco9384
Hooked

Cheers for taking the time to reply. I have a feeling that as per previous comment this property has got FTTP as it looks like it's just BT and EE who are offering me 100mb plus speeds. Most providers are just offering me the dismal 4-9mb which is on the ADSL line. No way the family are going to accept that given we've currently got fibre at around 60mb. Looks like I may have to swallow a cancellation fee with Plusnet on this...not good given I've only been with them 6 months.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@Rossco9384 

In the checker you're looking for WBC FTTP in the left hand column. Further to the right it'll say One Stage or Two stage install.

In the narrative below the results there should be a sentence about FTTP.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

As you won't have a phone number use the address version, enter only the post code and then select the property from the drop down list.

Sky and Zen also offer FTTP packages.

Brian

kryptor
Hooked

No problems Smiley

Ouch, I hope that you are only in a 12 month contract to make the cost a damn sight less for you.

Would PlusNET be able to offer a FTTP package, I'm sure they were previously trialling something in an area (can't remember where that was though sorry).

They may even be able to waive the fee as you are moving to a property that they cannot supply your current package too, therefore it's a change to your terms and conditions of contract......not that I want to go down the route of sitting looking through the 21 million pages that are issued (I know it's not quite that much but sometimes feels like it), may be worth checking those out for your package Smiley

Rossco9384
Hooked

Thanks BMC.

It's definitely got FTTP. Saying downstream 1000 and upstream 200. For the install process it says KCI2 Assure.

Commentary is FTTP is available and a new ONT may be ordered.

So it is as expected I'm going to be able to get fantastic speeds 🙂 but unfortunately have to swallow a cancellation charge with PLUSNET.

bmc
Hero

@kryptor 

PlusNet did indeed have a Trial running for FTTP but it closed to new applicants a couple of years back. Luckily for me and others who were on it they continue to provide a service.

However, they do not currently offer a commercial product an it is unknown whether they ever will. What is known is that they would have to re-write their back office systems to cope with FTTP.

Brian

bmc
Hero

@Rossco9384 

From years back I have the following for KCI2

Informs a CP that an order has been committed to by Openreach’s fulfilment systems, which means that the job has been built, the date allocated and any excess construction charges that apply have been calculated

I suspect the checker is slightly out of date. You could be nosey and try neighbouring properties to see what they say.

Looks like FTTP has not yet been installed so you'll need to be at home on the chosen date when OR turn up to do the install. An Optical Network Terminator (ONT) needs to be installed. If it was there already then activation can be done remotely.

Although the saving isn't great Zen will do an install without a phone service. Can't speak for the others.

Brian

Rossco9384
Hooked

Unfortunately the T&Cs are pretty clear:-

9. Moving home

9.1. If you want to move your broadband or fibre broadband service during your minimum term you may have to pay a home move fee as set out in the Price Guide or enter a new agreement with us with a new minimum term.

9.2. If you have fibre broadband, but we can't provide it at your new home, you can move to our broadband service without penalty.

9.3. If we can't provide any broadband service to your new home, you'll have to pay early termination charges as set out in the Price Guide.

9.4. Other home move charges (such as fees for installing a new line) may also apply as set out in the Price Guide.

kryptor
Hooked

BIG ouch, sorry to hear that you have to pay.  It's a bit unfair that they penalise you for moving home because they cannot supply the service you want!

If you've been a longterm customer may be worth pointing that out when it comes to the phone call too, they may then (hopefully have a heart) and waive it.......Good luck with it all!

Thrall
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 23

Found this where the 3rd to last post explains KCI2 Assure in greater detail.

Also whether you can leave your contract free of charge if your new address is solely FTTP seems to be a grey area.

Terms and conditions say no but from this post it looks like it’s possible on a case by case basis. 

It may be worth asking the house moves team nicely on 0800 013 2632 Smiley

bmc
Hero

@Rossco9384 

Probably too late for you but "chatter" has begun about PlusNet offering FTTP from this summer.

See post #53 on the following thread.

https://community.plus.net/t5/Plusnet-Feedback/When-will-Plusnet-offer-FTTP/td-p/1641048/page/4

Brian

Rossco9384
Hooked

Cheers and thanks for commenting. Yes too late for us BUT at least we were able to get FTP although it was a little bizarre. I ordered on BT and then got a call from a chap saying he was at the property (we hadn't moved at this point) to look at where the drive needed to be dug up. Apparently whilst FTP was laid the to the close (and most of the houses) the person who had previously owned the property had declined to have the fibre run extended to the property. 

Anyway to cut a long story (and a short drive) short as our new house was at the end of the close BT were able to dig a short run from the terminus under the road and across the garden to get a connection point. In fairness it was all done very smoothly and you would not know it was done. We now have a nice 150mb connection double what we were getting on FTC.... a good job as the standard broadband to the property was 11mb! Mind you not cheap when you throw in a telephone line as well...twice as expensive as the FTP that we could get at our current property (Gigaclear). 

I'll keep an eye on Plusnet to see what happens.