cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More Webspace

philwalton
Dabbler

More Webspace

Hello, I had my website taken down by Plusnet as I had exceeded the webspace allowance (100MB).
I applied for reconnection and this was done however before I was able to reduce the amount of webspace it was taken down again!
I have concluded that my best approach would be to find webspace elsewhere as it would seem that it is not possible to increase the amount of Plusnet webspace according to tech support.
My question is - if I obtain webspace from Plusnets PAYH or a third party like justhost or 1and1 will it be possible to upload my pages there and redirect my domain name (www.waltons.plus.com) to my new webspace?
This would seem a better long term answer as at present I am randomly removing photographs to try and get within the 100Mb limit.
Also a second question - can anyone recommend a cheap (or free!) webspace provider as PAYH does seem expensive.
Thank you for reading.
Phil Walton
8 REPLIES 8
Be3G
Grafter

Re: More Webspace

If photos are the main thing you want to store on your webspace, maybe you'd be better served by a dedicated photo host such as Flickr or PBase? Flickr has a fairly good free membership too whereby one can store as many photographs as one likes, but there's a limit to the number that can be uploaded during a month, plus a limit to the number that can be displayed in one's ‘photostream’ – direct links would always work, however.
philwalton
Dabbler

Thanks for that.
It is a Family History website so it also has a lot of text, despite being told that it had been taken down it does seem to be there at the moment www.waltons.plus.com - although some of the photo links are messed up.
I should have taken more care with the picture sizes - it is work in progress and I had it in mind to restrict the size of the pictures.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

It isn't
Site Removed !
Your site has been removed because you have exceeded your webspace allowance.
You may be able to upgrade to an account with a higher webspace allowance - take a look at our Webspace FAQ to find out.

Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@philwalton, Try Free Web Hosting from 000Webhost, I have my site "Computers Phones Accessories" hosted on there, with it having Free:

• Wallpaper for Computers

• Wallpaper for Mobiles

• Wallpaper for (PSP)

• Ringtones for Mobiles

Plus if you have your own domain with say 123-reg you can point it at 000Webhost name servers for Free, with PlusNet to point your domain at there name servers it is £25 per year.
philwalton
Dabbler

Thanks Jim, the webspace FAQ implies "PlusNet are no longer interested in providing webspace for residential" - fair enough you are concentrating on being an ISP.
There is not an option to upgrade to an account with a greater webspace - this was confirmed with a call to the support desk.
Thanks Midnight, I think this is the way I will go.
1) Obtain new domain probably .co.uk
2) use this on something like 000Webhost, where there is a lot more webspace available.
Plusnet have confirmed that I cannot point my plusnet domain (www.waltons.plus.com) at another server.
Can you advise me please - when you say "PlusNet to point your domain at there name servers it is £25 per year" - i'm not sure why I need this?
Can I just put somewords on my PlusNet space to say - Our family history site is now at www.something.co.uk - with a link to my new webspace?
The help is much appreciated.
Regards...Phil
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

No it is £25 per year to point a domain at say waltons.plus.com say you purchased the domain waltons.co.uk and you wonted to point it at waltons.plus.com it will cost £25 per year.
philwalton
Dabbler

Just to wrap this up:
PlusNet let me down badly.
My webspace was actually 250MB not 100MB so it should not have been taken down in the first place, or second place, both without notice. PlusNet changed it in error when my account changed.
In the meantime as I was not being allowed time to reduce the webspace I found alternative webspace and have signed  up for 3 years in advance (cheaper that way) with www.vidahost.com , they seem very efficient and helpful.
So the exercise has cost me many hours and £68:00 - PlusNet have apologised and made a small refund.
If there is anything to learn from this I suppose it is - always question Plusnet if they take draconian action and anyone after webspace should look at vidahost.
Phil
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Quote from: philwalton
My webspace was actually 250MB not 100MB so it should not have been taken down in the first place, or second place, both without notice. PlusNet changed it in error when my account changed.
In the meantime as I was not being allowed time to reduce the webspace I found alternative webspace and have signed  up for 3 years in advance (cheaper that way) with www.vidahost.com , they seem very efficient and helpful.

I'm sorry to hear that, especially as increasing your webspace allowance back to 250MB is a relatively trivial thing to do! Sad

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵