cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moodle VLE Install - Permission Problems

nescient

Moodle VLE Install - Permission Problems

Hello, my first post, so treate me gently!
I am trying to create a folder, "moodledata", at ccgi.mydomain.plus.com.
I have created the folder but cannot find a way of giving it the correct owner/rights.
I need to create the following (quote from moodle website):
"Data Directory: You need a place where Moodle can save uploaded files. This directory must be readable AND WRITEABLE by the web server user (usually 'nobody' or 'apache'), but it must not be accessible directly via the web."
The following is from: http://docs.moodle.org/20/en/Creating_Moodle_site_data_directory
"To make sure that Moodle can save uploaded files in this directory, check that the web server software has permission to read, write and execute in this directory. On Unix machines, this means setting the owner of the directory to be something like "nobody" or "apache", and then giving that user read, write and execute permissions"
I am using FileZilla to manage permissions but I do not seem to have access to change permissions on a per user basis.
Can any body point me at the right tree to bark up?
3 REPLIES 3
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Moodle VLE Install - Permission Problems

Which version of Moodle are you intending to install? CCGI has PHP 5.2.6 and MySQL 4.1.11. I think you need to try version 1.9.12+. Though the stated MySQL requirement is 4.1.16 I think 4.1.11 might work (though any version checking in Moodle configuration might need to be tweaked).
With regard to owner/rights for the moodledata folder there is no way you can change the file owner, and you should not be doing so. Prevention of web access to the folder needs to be set using the .htaccess file method they mention. File and folder permissions must be set according to the CGI Platform PHP Upgrade FAQ. Scripts are available via links in that FAQ which will set file and directory permissions to those normally required. It's possible small changes might be needed to suit some of the Moodle functions.
What you can put in .htaccess files is restricted as stated in the FAQ. I suspect some of the entries recommended in the documentation might be disallowed for security reasons.
Do you know how much web traffic the package is likely to generate per day? Just wondered if you are likely to go over your limit.
David
nescient

Thanks for the reply.
I'm using Moodle 1.9.12+ which requires: PHP 4.3.0, MySQL 4.1.16 or Postgres 8.0 or MSSQL 9.0 or Oracle 9.0. Any later version of Moodle is not compatible with Plus.nets current PHP set-up.
I think you are right. The Plus.net server "allows .htaccess to override only: FileInfo, AuthConfig and Limit directive types".
Moodle needs:
order deny,allow
deny from all

in .htaccess
There is a version of Moodle for the Windows Platform - might I be better off using this?
At this stage I am just testing Moodle for a client. and will be looking at Bandwidth and allowance issues when I have a VLE that works. So far using moodle at Plus.net seems to suggest that moodle is insecure, so perhaps that's not the best option.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Order is a Limit type directive so can be included in .htaccess and does what it says on the tin.
Careful consideration of file and directory permissions would be needed to securely install this on any shared server, including ccgi at Plusnet. A brief look at the documentation suggests to me that it is rather biased towards set-ups where the user has control of the Apache configuration which would be unusual on a shared server.
If considering a standalone set-up I would lean towards using a Linux platform rather than Windows, but that is a matter of choice.
David