Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing files after migration

TonyN
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Missing files after migration

I’ve run a Wordpress blog on my PlusNet website since December 2007. At times this has been very busy, so in terms of data on the server it is quite large: over 30mb.
Now that it has been migrated to the new server this runs at a respectable speed again whereas latterly on the old set-up pages were taking up to 20 secs to load. This is very welcome of course, but there is a problem.
When I tested the blog after migration I found that images were missing from several recent posts. (here for example:- http://ccgi.newbery1.plus.com/blog/?p=717) The reason was obvious enough: there were 6 recent image files relating to these posts missing from wp-content/uploads and so are the two folders that they should be in. When I compared the file and folder count for wp-content on the server with a fairly up-to-date backup, I got the following results which seem to indicate a far more extensive problem:
PlusNet new server installation Files:  3234 Folders: 417
Backup                                                          Files 3235  Folders: 431
I checked the website on 20th Feb when I was advised that migration was about to take place. There were no missing images then or when I checked the site at other times thereafter and prior to being notified that migration had taken place. On each occasion the site was still running slowly and therefore I assume that I was accessing the old server
To do a complete audit and establish exactly what has happened would obviously be a massive job, and not one that I think that I should have to undertake. As things are at the moment, even if I restore the six files missing from wp-content I have no idea what other corruption has taken place during migration that is not immediately apparent except in the file and folder count. I have a lot of other files on the site that have built up over the seven years that the blog has been running.
The date of my backup set is 05/12/2013, which I realise is quite old, but the blog has been more or less mothballed recently as the slow running made it more or less unusable.
Any suggestions? Presumably PlusNet has some kind of backup made immediately before the migration and should be able to restore these files exactly as they were on the old server. Or do the files still exit on the old server?
22 REPLIES 22
UncleZen
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Re: Missing files after migration

There are some migration issues, see this post:
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,124523.0.html
TonyN
Rising Star

Thanks for that UncleZen, but I'm not sure that my problem fits either of the two which that sticky post is dealing with, and I'm using WSFTP to look at the site files, not the client that PlusNet provides.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I'm aware of at least one other site where files and folders got lost on transfer, initially a significant number. A second transfer attempt improved the situation though it's still believed some files and folders are missing. This remains under investigation.
David
David
TonyN
Rising Star

Thanks David and it is always a relief, to some extent at least, go learn that one is not alone. I look forward to finding out what the investigations reveals.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: TonyN
PlusNet new server installation Files:  3234 Folders: 417
Backup                                                          Files 3235  Folders: 431

Hi Tony, I've asked for somebody to check and consolidate your webspace content. There's a support ticket raised against your account to track this.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

TonyN
Rising Star

Many thanks Bob, I'll await developments.
jtonline
Grafter

I had some images missing from 2013 and 2014 wp-content/uploads folders after the migration.  I copied the folders over from the old platform & WordPress seems happy again now.
TonyN
Rising Star

jtonline:
Interesting to hear from a fellow sufferer!
Yes, I could easily copy over the six missing images  that I know about from backups, but look at the file and folder counts I give above. Those six images missing from the 2013-2014 folders are just the really obvious part of a far more complex and extensive mix-up. My blog has over 300 posts on it, many with multiple uploads supporting them, and tens of thousands of comments. Checking the whole thing to see what works is not an option and even some of the really old posts going back years still get visitors.
You say that you copied missing files over from the old platform. Do you mean that you were still able to access the old platform after the migration? If so I'd be very interested to know how.
jtonline
Grafter

Tony, my WordPress traffic and post content is small and my uploads folders contain very few images, so replacing the missing content was an easy solution for me.  I appreciate that is not going to be quite so easy for the owner of a large site.  Hopefully Bob's cunning plan to get your missing content back gets you up & running again soon.
You can still FTP to the old CCGI platform using your old username & password, but to do so you do need to access it from a PlusNet IP.
TonyN
Rising Star

So with jtonline’s very helpful suggestion I’ve logged in to the old server and find that the wp-content folder there only contains two folders; plugins and themes. No sign of the all important uploads folder, or any of the other folders (installed by plugins) that were sub-folders of wp-content prior to the migration.
Doesn’t look good!
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

I don't understand that if I'm honest because the migration scripts don't have write access to the old platform Huh
Where does this wp-content directory live?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

TonyN
Rising Star

Bob Pullen:
The version of wp-content that I referred to above lives here:
ftp://ftp.plus.net/htdocs/
Looking at it again just now – I only glanced in horror this morning – it looks as though it may be some relic of the distant past, and I don’t think that I followed the route suggested by jtonline to reach it.
Do you have any idea when I am likely to get a response to the ticket that you kindly raised for me yesterday? At the moment I have a blog which I am most unwilling to alter the content of in any way until I know whether Plusnet has a solution or I am going to have to do a complete overhaul myself.
TonyN
Rising Star

jtonline:
Any chance of describing just how you accessed your webspace on the old server? I may have given the impression that I am more technically competent than I am
jtonline
Grafter

TonyN:
I'm no expert  Smiley
/htdocs refers to a directory on the standard webspace and you may have uploaded some files there in the dim & distant past, however your pre-migration WordPress files will be on the old ccgi server,
I use a free FTP client from CoffeeCup Software: http://www.coffeecup.com/free-ftp/
The FTP server name is: ccgi.plus.net
Username: [your username]
Password: [your password]
Protocol: FTP
Port:21
Hope this helps.