cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

McAfee Priority

Nomadic1
Dabbler

McAfee Priority

Hi, I installed McAfee from Plusnet today after using Bitdefender for a couple of years as I thought I could save a few pounds renewing the licence.

The installation went without error and it's now running.

Big problem that I hope someone can help me sort out. When I tried to access McAfee help I was directed to the Plusnet site.

First task was to start a full system scan and I have immediately noticed that it's using over 65% process and high memory usage and it's slowing my system down very badly. This didn't happen with Bitdefender. I tried to alter the process priority but was denied. Maybe need to be logged in as Administrator.

The first scan after installation might take longer and future ones will be faster and use less system resources. Wishful thinking!

I haven't changed to McAfee on my wife's system yet, it's less powerful than mine and it will probably grind to a halt when a scan is run.

Has anyone got any good suggestions? If this cannot be rectified I may move back to Bitdefender.

3 REPLIES 3
Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Re: McAfee Priority

Hey @Nomadic1,

Thank you for getting in touch with us.

Plusnet McAfee protect will vary from system to system in terms of the processing power it uses and the resource usage, just as side note, usually if you are doing a full scan your system will slow down as its scanning the whole system rather than just one section.

We cannot provide further support in terms of this query - maybe some of our community members can help you further.

Thanks.

Nomadic1
Dabbler

Hi Mads, just an update.

My system has an i5 processor with 8gb memory and 500gb SSD disk plus standard 500gb drive but it almost ground to a halt. It's not the most modern system but I would have thought it could cope with McAfee, it didn't have a problem with McAfee 3 years ago and it didn't have the SSD disk at that time.

I let the scan run to completion and it took about 12 hours to complete. When I powered off and restarted it took about 5 minutes to boot up again, it normally only takes about 1 minute.

I have reluctantly paid for the latest Bitdefender package and my system is back to normal, when I run a scan it's not really noticeable.

I don't know if you can feedback to McAfee about a disappointed customer.

Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Hey @Nomadic1,

Sorry that the Plusnet protect McAfee product didn't work for you, I'll be sure to pass this info along to our products team.

Thanks.