cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mask URL of CGI Site?

Adam1V
Grafter

Mask URL of CGI Site?

I have my normal website which is hosted by F9 www.mydomain.com and i also have a user forum which is ccgi.myusername.force9.co.uk/forum
Is there anyway to mask the cgi site so that it still remains mydomain.com?
I dont want to point mydomain.com at the site, but there is a link on my website for Forum which currently points straight at the cgi site.
One other quick question, i have 500mb allocated space for my website, does that only cover the main website, or is the cgi site included with that?
If not, does anyone know the limit of the CGI site?
14 REPLIES 14
ffupi
Grafter

Re: Mask URL of CGI Site?

Basically: When ccgi.username.plus.com/forum works, www.mydomain.com/forum will work - as long as www.mydomain.com points to ccgi.username.plus.com.
This all, as long as the directory forum is in the directory where the webpage is.
Only thing to do: In the forum admin section the URL of the forum needs to be changed to www.mydomain.com/forum.
Where is your webpage currently, in root of ccgi? If that is the case, consider to put it into a directory for the sake of not loosing the overview.
Adam1V
Grafter

the forum is in the root directory of the ccgil folder (not within the cg-bin folder).
www.mydomain.com doesnt point at the forum.
ffupi
Grafter

OK,
1) the directory /forum is in root,
2) www.mydomain.com points to ccgi.username.plus.com .
The only thing to do is to change in the forum admin section the URL to www.mydomain.com/forum .
Don't forget to empty the browser cache with F5, before checking it.
mar7t1n
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Now it would be best if PlusNet just load balance its hosting to provided HTML / CGI / PHP / mySQL to all users on an allocated home server. But they don't. The CCGI platform is tuned for interactive stuff. The WWW tuned for static pages and images. You can have both www.mydomain.co.uk and ccgi.mydomain.co.uk if you want. Which is what I do. Although I'm not so sure why these days. Or you can just move everything to the CCGI platform and then point your domain there. The CCGI site performance is subject to what everyone else is doing. Where as the WWW server is just vending static pages. But if your site is reliant on the active stuff to work at all then there is no real advantage in splitting your site across the two servers. However if you don't want to move everything and effectivly start again then get your ccgi.mydomain.co.uk working and just link there and then your PlusNet/F9 userid remains hidden from the outside world and users won't notice they moved servers as the domain is the same.
Adam1V
Grafter

Quote from: ffupi
OK,
1) the directory /forum is in root,
2) www.mydomain.com points to ccgi.username.plus.com .
The only thing to do is to change in the forum admin section the URL to www.mydomain.com/forum .
Don't forget to empty the browser cache with F5, before checking it.

mydomain.com doesnt point to the ccgi section.
just the link to the forum, see here:
http://www.streetdivers.co.uk
mar7t1n
Rising Star

Goto Member Centre - Domain names - Existing Domains and click CONFIGURE against you domain name. Then click Configure DNS Records at the bottom of the screen. You need to add.
ccgi CNAME ccgi.yourid.force9.co.uk
And save it. This will configure it so that your domain has the ccgi server name enabled for it. You can then point your forum using your doman name and don't need to use your f9 userid in the URL.
So for you edit Streedivers.co.uk and add
ccgi CNAME ccgi.adam1v.force9.co.uk
I think it takes up to 24 hours to replicate. So leave it a while once you done it before saying it doesn't work.
Adam1V
Grafter

martin, thanks for your help with this.
Just to clarify what your telling me, this will simply mask the url.
At presnt the html pages + images are hosted on the main ftp site and forum on the ccgi site.
This change isnt going to require me to move the files?
mar7t1n
Rising Star

Yes that's correct.
You will have both
http://www.streetdivers.co.uk/ and http://ccgi.streetdivers.co.uk/ when this works. So nothing to move, just change your links on you main site to point at http://ccgi.streetdivers.co.uk/........... rather than http://ccgi.adam1v.force9.co.uk/..........
Just wait for it to replicate before you make the change so that you know it has worked properly.
Adam1V
Grafter

thank you very much martin.
That is going to be quite useful in the future too since im helping a friend with a forum too.
Adam1V
Grafter

im not sure if im being impatient or its not working  Huh
Its been 48hrs and ive actually added another CNAME just incase the first one was wrong, i have two dns records reading:
ccgi  cname    ccgi.adam1v.force9.co.uk 
ccgi  cname    streetdivers.co.uk
you might say the bottom one isnt needed, but neither seem to be doing anything atm.
zubel
Community Veteran

Plusnet need to update the CCGI server to 'respond' to your request on that particular URL.
You should raise a ticket, explaining the domains that you have pointed to the CCGI server, and you need the CCGI side of things 'kicked'.
Ask them to verify the DNS settings too.  I was under the impression you needed 'A' records, not CNAME records.
eg:
ccgi    A    84.92.1.4
You *must* get PN to do their bit too, though.
B.
glyndev
Grafter

Does the left field have to be just 'www' or 'ccgi' ?.
For example. If you only use your cgi space to host a forum is it possible to have 'forum' in the left field ?. OR if you have an online shop is it possible to have 'shop.domain.??.??'
Adam1V
Grafter

use ccgi for the left.
The reason i was having problems was my forum in the ccgi section was at ccgi.adam1v.force9.co.uk/phpbb If i wanted to direct traffic from my www.streetdivers.co.uk website the url should then have been ccgi.streetdivers.co.uk/phpbb
I hope that makes sense?
mar7t1n
Rising Star

I see you have your http://ccgi.streetdivers.co.uk/phpBB3/ working now, but haven't updated your website to take advantage.
In reply to Devonports I believe it must be www or ccgi I'm afraid. If you host your own website on your own servers then you can do what you like and get everything for your domain directed where you like. But it's there system and that's how they've set it up.