cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mailing list software

puposet

Mailing list software

I was about to set up a mailing list using Plusnet's service when "bingo" the facility was withdrawn, apparently due to the change of "spam provider".  So now I have to look at running the service myself as a CGI.  Has anyone done this or have any recommendations at to the software to use?  I was just looking at ListMessenger Light for example, has anyone used that?
What I want to do is provide for members of a group of up to maybe 30 people, with limited computer expertise,  to be able send emails to the whole group, without having to maintain their own lists of members. So members should be able to subscribe and unsubscribe automatically, and unlike 'newsletter' software (like MyCircular for example) all members should be able to send messages through a common email address or a simple web page.
Thanks
Tim Jackson
4 REPLIES 4
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Mailing list software

I believe PAYH (the system that is going to replace CCGI in a few months) has mailing lists although I've not tried it).
Whatever you do don't set anything up on CCGI now!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
puposet

Do you have a reference to any statement or list of what features will be available, and when?
I had aimed to have this in place mid-Jan, but if there will be a 'standard' service soon after I can delay a bit.
I take it there's nothing like this on the preview server.
I guess I'll have to play with it.
Tim
Kev_Mawson
Grafter

Hi
The hosting service that we are giving customers through PAYH, will not include any mail facilities.
If you wish to take advantage of these services, then you will need to have a full PAYH account, you can see a list of packages we offer on the link below:
http://payh.co.uk/price.php
puposet

OK, I installed up ListMessenger Light on the PAYH preview server.
It all went pretty smoothly, it was easier than I expected and seems to do what it says on the tin, as far as a quick test was concerned.
Plusnet issued the preview account in about 24 hours, it took me a while to read through the various documentations and tips, and to figure which bits I actually needed to know.
I set up the database, uploaded the system (FTP stuttered and timed out a bit to start with but soon settled down) and away we went. The only hiccup was me entering the wrong thing as the database server name in the configuration, otherwise despite the initially daunting complexity it was really quite easy.