cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Madasafish to Plusnet domain name implications.

Fido

Madasafish to Plusnet domain name implications.

I have just switched from Madasafish to Plusnet. I did so online and didn't need a new router. I was surprised that I was able to keep my email address which I had before Globalnet was taken over by Madasafish. So I am still @globalnet.co.uk. Everything is working as before. I have also retained a domain name I had free from Madasafish which I use regularly for other email addresses. That has continued to work without me doing anything. No transfer of registration. No communication from either Plusnet or Madasafish about this domain name. I am wondering how long this will continue. It is registered with Nominet and expires in November 2013. Does anyone know anything about this subject? Am I likely to get automatic renewal, free of charge?  I find the whole relationship between Plusnet and Madasafish very confusing.
24 REPLIES 24
Cloudman

Re: Madasafish to Plusnet domain name implications.

It all started with Freenetname they were taken over by Madasafish who are now owned by Plusnet who are owned by BT. That is why they can host Domain names as it was how Freenetname obtained their customers. Clear as mud!!  Undecided
Mayfly
All Star
Fixes: 1

That's interesting because I was a Freenetnetname then MAAF customer after FNN were bought out and when I changed to PN I was told to keep my own domain name I had to  have a Justmail account at £20 per year, Then when PN bought MAAF out I asked on here if I still needed to have the Justmail account at £20 pa and was told yes.
jimegg

I am a care4free.net person.  I have been told to phone the 7508 number but after trying 3 times not got thro yet.
I have 2 web sites that came with the account and hope they will not be affected.
I guess I will be able to keep my @care4free.net email address but the email I had seemed to question that.
Jim
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

I find the whole relationship between Plusnet and Madasafish very confusing.

The easiest way to look at this is that Madasafish will soon be no more as we've decided to consolidate it under the Plusnet brand.
Of course though now that you've transferred your email and domain over to Pn those will be retained and avaiable for you to continue using them.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
SM

Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
I find the whole relationship between Plusnet and Madasafish very confusing.

The easiest way to look at this is that Madasafish will soon be no more as we've decided to consolidate it under the Plusnet brand.
Of course though now that you've transferred your email and domain over to Pn those will be retained and avaiable for you to continue using them.

Like everyone else forced to move out of maaf I was told that my Charity would automatically get the benefits it had with them if It moved to Plusnet, except that Plusnet would host our website but they would not support it.  As none of these benefits are shown on our Plusnet site - Domain name (with associated webspace and email addresses), mainly, I assume that I will have to move them but no one has told me that directly.  Am I right, or will Pusnet just move them over when it shuts down maaf?  Will someone please give us clear instructions on this matter. 
Mayfly
All Star
Fixes: 1

Does the notification come from MAAF or PN?  because I haven't heard anything but wonder if it's slipped through via my OH email
martynculling
Dabbler

Quote from: _Adam_Walker_

Which is not quite the answer I have had from two other employees. I too am currently a Madasafish customer now just signed up to Plusnet. I will charged separately for domain hosting and renewal matters, a whole £1.69 a month, and it will be a separate bill from Madasafish. That much does not bother me as I'll be saving more than that anyway.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Quote from: SM
Like everyone else forced to move out of maaf I was told that my Charity would automatically get the benefits it had with them if It moved to Plusnet, except that Plusnet would host our website but they would not support it.   As none of these benefits are shown on our Plusnet site - Domain name (with associated webspace and email addresses), mainly, I assume that I will have to move them but no one has told me that directly.   Am I right, or will Pusnet just move them over when it shuts down maaf?   Will someone please give us clear instructions on this matter. 

If you wish to retain either your Madasafish email address or hosted domain names, then you will need to request the Madasafish account is downgraded to a Justmail account. This account type costs £1.69pcm. If you choose to transfer your domain out to a third party, then I believe there's a £25 transfer fee.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

hottroc
Grafter

Quote from: Bob
If you wish to retain either your Madasafish email address or hosted domain names, then you will need to request the Madasafish account is downgraded to a Justmail account. This account type costs £1.69pcm. If you choose to transfer your domain out to a third party, then I believe there's a £25 transfer fee.

This contradicts what your colleague implied four posts higher in this topic    ("we've decided to consolidate it under the Plusnet brand.....Of course though now that you've transferred your email and domain over to Pn those will be retained and avaiable for you")    ,  and what I was told both in my contract letter and on the phone when discussing my transfer options. Frankly your interpretation is not acceptable. The deal was that we transfer to PlusNet, domain and all, not keep part of our account on with MAAF that is due to close soon. And if you don't honour this then I believe you will be in breach of contract. So please sort this out.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: hottroc
This contradicts what your colleague implied four posts higher in this topic...

Apologies for the confusion.
... and what I was told both in my contract letter and on the phone when discussing my transfer options.

I can't vouch for what you were told on the phone, but none of the letters I've had visibility of say anything about domains? Huh
The deal was that we transfer to PlusNet, domain and all, not keep part of our account on with MAAF that is due to close soon.

Whilst it's technically possible to transfer a domain onto Plusnet, it is a laborious process that it prone to error and far from straight-forward. It would also require that you reconfigure any mail applications you are using because the domain would start pointing at Plusnet's mail servers rather than Madasafish's. You would also need to transfer all of your historic email across. If you have a website, that too would stop working unless legacy hosting is set-up on the Plusnet account (something that we only offer on business accounts) and your files are transferred from one web server to the other (you would be expected to do this).
It is far simpler, and much less hassle for you, to continue hosting the domain on a paid Justmail account. There are no immediate plans to retire the Justmail product and the £1.69/mnth is supposed to have been discussed/accommodated for when setting up and agreeing the terms of the Plusnet contract?
Apologies again if this was not made clear to you, I'll admit, there was some confusion amongst staff regarding email addresses/domains to begin with that has hopefully since been cleared up.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

hottroc
Grafter

Quote from: Bob
I can't vouch for what you were told on the phone, but none of the letters I've had visibility of say anything about domains? Huh

My letter from Jasbir Kaur of 22/9/15 specifically does.
Whilst it's technically possible to transfer a domain onto Plusnet, it is a laborious process that it prone to error and far from straight-forward.

Nonsense, there is a link in the Member Centre to transfer a domain in, and it should be a very easy and straightforward process. What makes you think otherwise? I have transferred domains before, very simple process. Sorry to sound rude.
It would also require that you reconfigure any mail applications you are using because the domain would start pointing at Plusnet's mail servers rather than Madasafish's. You would also need to transfer all of your historic email across. If you have a website, that too would stop working unless legacy hosting is set-up on the Plusnet account (something that we only offer on business accounts) and your files are transferred from one web server to the other (you would be expected to do this).

Absolutely. And as I set up my mail applications in the first place and my websites, and transferred my files via FTP to MAAF servers in the first place, I am completely aware of what this entails and how simple this is, and am happy to do it.
It is far simpler, and much less hassle for you, to continue hosting the domain on a paid Justmail account.

No it's not, I'd rather manage one company/contract/monthly fee/login/set of details etc, than 2.
There are no immediate plans to retire the Justmail product...

Good, for a moment there I thought you were trying to renege out of your responsibilities.
and the £1.69/mnth is supposed to have been discussed/accommodated for when setting up and agreeing the terms of the Plusnet contract?

Yes it was, as I said, and agreed that the domain would transfer to PlusNet for the 1.69/m fee. Hence why I'm angry that you are changing your mind.

Apologies again if this was not made clear to you,

It was, very clear. From the PlusNet staff I talked to and had correspondence with..... This is a U-turn. But I believe if you go back on it you will be in breach of contract which means the 18-month contract I signed up for will be Void.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Whilst it's technically possible to transfer a domain onto Plusnet, it is a laborious process that it prone to error and far from straight-forward.

Nonsense, there is a link in the Member Centre to transfer a domain in, and it should be a very easy and straightforward process. What makes you think otherwise?

Sorry to sound blunt, but I /know/ otherwise.
Changing the IPSTag via the Madasafish website will initiate a +£25 charge. Likewise transferring the domain in via the Plusnet website is likely to initiate another +£25 hosting charge (that's if it allows it at all). Web hosting is no longer offered on residential Plusnet accounts either. There's a lot of manual 'hacking' required to circumvent this stuff and get the back-end mail databases etc. to play nicely.
It would also require that you reconfigure any mail applications you are using because the domain would start pointing at Plusnet's mail servers rather than Madasafish's. You would also need to transfer all of your historic email across. If you have a website, that too would stop working unless legacy hosting is set-up on the Plusnet account (something that we only offer on business accounts) and your files are transferred from one web server to the other (you would be expected to do this).

Absolutely. And as I set up my mail applications in the first place and my websites, and transferred my files via FTP to MAAF servers in the first place, I am completely aware of what this entails and how simple this is, and am happy to do it.

You don't have a Plusnet email account yet, so that would need setting up, and to re-iterate, all server addresses, usernames and passwords would need changing. We would hold no responsibility for the transfer of existing email from your Madasafish mailboxes to your Plusnet ones. There are fundamental differences between the Plusnet and Madasafish email platforms and you would no longer be able to use the Madasafish Webmail platform.
If it's something you really feel strongly about, then I would at least suggest you create a Plusnet email address first, so you can spend some time familiarising yourself with the platform.
It is far simpler, and much less hassle for you, to continue hosting the domain on a paid Justmail account.

No it's not, I'd rather manage one company/contract/monthly fee/login/set of details etc, than 2.

The webspace is the sticking point here as it's no longer offered by Plusnet. If you're really adamant that you want to move your email then that's entirely up to you; I still recommend against it though.
and the £1.69/mnth is supposed to have been discussed/accommodated for when setting up and agreeing the terms of the Plusnet contract?

Yes it was, as I said, and agreed that the domain would transfer to PlusNet for the 1.69/m fee. Hence why I'm angry that you are changing your mind.

You were not advised correctly in the first place. The process that the business has agreed is to downgrade customers' accounts to Justmail should they want to retain their Madasafish email address or domain.
There is no capability within our systems to charge a £1.69 surcharge for a domain on Plusnet. Plusnet .uk domains are typically renewed bi-annually at a cost of £52.88. An alternative /might/ be to charge £1/mnth instead, but again that's likely to involve more 'hacking'.
Apologies again if this was not made clear to you,

It was, very clear. From the PlusNet staff I talked to and had correspondence with..... This is a U-turn. But I believe if you go back on it you will be in breach of contract which means the 18-month contract I signed up for will be Void.

I am sorry you were given incorrect advice. Whilst I'm not convinced this is a breach of contract as such, I'm sure we can let you out of your 18 month term if that's what you decide to do.
I'm not trying to be awkward/confrontational. I'm just trying to save you a lot of grief/further hassle Smiley

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

hottroc
Grafter

Well it seems pointless to argue any further. Obviously the "customer is always right" principle doesn't apply to PlusNet. But, although I don't think it's a serious enough breach to cancel my contract, you should know that my expectations (set by your own staff!) have not been met and therefore I'm a somewhat disappointed customer. Which is a shame after the virtually seamless broadband service transfer.
I'll just make these points....
If it is a case that you could have met these stated requirements by making my account a Business account instead of a Residential one then this is doubly disappointing as this might have been the answer but was never even raised as a suggestion or option. And the £25+£25 could have been discussed.
And if "hacking" as you call it was required then this should have been incorporated into your migration plan in the first place. Was no thought given to any of this prior to the decision being made?
Also I DO have a PlusNet email account, and have been given a POP3 login name as well as details of the POP3 and SMTP servers addresses. I have to admit I have not tested the login works yet though (was waiting for my Domain!) but can do when I get chance (should take me about 10 minutes!).
Finally, just so you know, as far as I am aware I download all my mail from MAAF mail servers, nothing is stored long term. If I have to change a few settings/passwords etc so be it. You really are making this sound a lot harder than it is. Some MAAF customers (esp. those who were FNN previously) have been around a long time and are quite comfortable with technology. You can supply additional info if req'd.
And you should talk to your people advising/selling the migration about their misleading claims so they get their story straight.
One more final point, I'm not trying to be confrontational either but I'll decide what is hassle for me, not you. Hassle is not changing a few settings, it's not being allowed to do so in the first place after being promised that I could.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Understood.
The hassle is more to do with my concern that the 'hacking' will introduce additional unexpected problems, not any doubt in your technical aptitude.
If you want to drop me a PM, then I'm happy to take it offline and see if I can restore some of your lost faith?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team