Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MY Plushost website Gets 3 months death sentence

keppy2008
Grafter

MY Plushost website Gets 3 months death sentence

HI
Been with plusnet  about 9 years and fairly  happy  (  until now )  with their service ,also have phone with them.
Also i have a small website for our NON profit making  bowling club hosted by PLUSHOST. for free.
Recently along with other users we have been advised the hosting will end in 3 months time.
Any advice from users for a move to a  reliable free host company, preferably in uk  ?
Website is small and hits are less than a 1000 per annum.  No email  function required ,  Site is for read only option for club members.
I currently publish using EXPRESSION WEB via FTP. although willing if necessary to start from scratch again elsewhere.
Any idea if Plusnet  have similar offer to this from BT      http://www.btck.co.uk/Main/About.aspx
Any advice from forum users or plusnet staff would be appreciated..
Regards
Kep

19 REPLIES 19
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: MY Plushost website Gets 3 months death sentence

Did your original (legacy) broadband product have any webspace?
David
David
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

The BT thing looks like it will do what you want, although you'll have to start from scratch - on glancing at the page I don't think you need to be a BT customer to use it. You will also have to transfer or register your domain name assuming you don't want the btck.co.uk as your web address.
Domain registration is pretty cheap - around £3.50 - £4 a year for a .uk domain, although you usually have to pay for two years at a time. Transfer in is usually free, but check with the registrar before committing yourself. Hosting is generally not free, although there are plenty of cheap packages out there.
keppy2008
Grafter

In reply to David >>>>>>>
I was using plusnet webspace before i had to transfer over to Payh.
Do you think i would qualify for the new CGI transfer to Hostopia ,and if so would it be possible to use my present Microsoft Expression  Web software to publish the site using FTP as at present ?    I am not a teckie and dont really want anything too complicated.

In reply to Brian>>>>>>>>
You are quite correct i have delved further into the BT details and you dont have to have BT as your ISP..... The important requirement is that your website is non profit making or is a charity.
Appreciate  both replies
Kep
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Do you really need CGI facilities or do all your pages use static HTML code? That would normally mean having file extensions of .htm or .html.
David
David
keppy2008
Grafter

David,
i dont really know what CGI stands for  so obviously not sure if i need it .  I was hoping that i could upload my HTML files as i do now to the new sysytem  but assume you are saying it isnt as simple as that ?
If my wishes are not possible then i will go down the BT route i mentioned in my original post , my website is really a very simple site.
Appreciate  your comments
Regards
Kep
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@keppy2008, I have sent you a PM
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Kep,
Do you have any files named something.php rather than something.htm or something.html? If you don't it is likely that you don't need a CGI service which supports active content based on PHP and/or uses a MySQL database.
However you mentioned having to move from Plusnet webspace to PAYH. The reason for needing to do that seems relevant.
I'm not familiar with Expression Web so unsure how successful using site publishing would be. It depends whether it relies on anything installed on the server though I don't think PAYH supports that.
David
David
Shearer
Dabbler

I'm a bit confused and slightly panicky.
My longstanding personal account has 100Mb webspace.
Within that I host a site for a friend (she's a non-techy calligrapher). Let's call her "D".
I convinced D to go with Plusnet (she'd been on DIAL-UP!!)
Recently I blew my hosted capacity so though it a good time to migrate D's site to her own webspace.
Hunting around we couldn't work out where it was. When she called PN she was told there is no webspace for new customers(!) The hosting was a major reason for me having recommended in the first place so am miffed.
Now in these fora I see mention of death sentences for existing webspace, but I haven't seen that anywhere else.
What's going on? Will I lose my hosted space?? Used not just for D but for providing files and forms for various charities I'm associated with.
I read mention of migrating to PAYH and then see that PAYH is closing down. Hence... confused. And...panicky.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@Shearer, From what you said you are on PlusNet's Home Pages Server, and from what PlusNet is saying at the minute is that the Home Pages Servers are going to stay for existing customers only, any new customers will not get any web space.
Hope that helps.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: Shearer
Recently I blew my hosted capacity so though it a good time to migrate D's site to her own webspace.
Hunting around we couldn't work out where it was. When she called PN she was told there is no webspace for new customers(!) The hosting was a major reason for me having recommended in the first place so am miffed.

It's a very long time since web space was offered to new residential customers!
Edit: Post corrected to say residential.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Shearer
Dabbler

MC, jelv
thanks for yr responses.
Obviously I assumed and should have checked before making my  recommendation.
Fingers crossed my allocation stays as it's a pretty useful scratchpad... and of course D still relies on me for her cottage business!
LLAP
s
Penny
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

Quote from: jelv
It's a very long time since web space was offered to new customers!

(puzzled) I thought new business accounts still included webspace? just looked at http://www.plus.net/business/broadband/ and webspace still shown on "package details" : /
Penny Rollo * * * joined Force9 on 17/02/98 * * * with PlusNet from 2000 onwards * * * personal website at pennymidasrollo.plus.com
Project HappyChild website (free educational resources for kids and schools, plus directory of charities helping children) 1998 onwards
Superusers are not PlusNet staff but do have a direct line of communication into the business to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the Community.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

You're quite right - I'll edit my post.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

@Shearer
If she relies on her website to run her business a business account which does give static page webspace would be an option.