cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MX records for a subdomain

Markles

MX records for a subdomain

Here's my problem:
I have a hosted domain (eg domain.co.uk)
I've created a subdomain email.domain.co.uk and specified my plus.net static IP address in the A record (nslookup works)
I have also registered a gmail account for this domain.
I'm now trying to setup the MX records for email.domain.co.uk as specified by google and have entered the info as below:
Left fieldTypePriRight field
emailax.x.x.x
emailmx1aspmx.l.google.com.
emailmx 5alt1.aspmx.l.google.com.
emailmx5alt2.aspmx.l.google.com.
emailmx10aspmx2.googlemail.com.
emailmx 10aspmx3.googlemail.com.
mx20mx.last.plus.net.

But this doesn't  work.
What I want to know is if it is possible (on plus.net) to have different MX records for a subdomain whilst keeping POP3 at the top level domain.
Regards
Mark
4 REPLIES 4
itsme
Grafter

Re: MX records for a subdomain

What are you trying to achieve?
First thing is that for MX records there is no left field.  If you are using PN DNS then you can only point domain.co.uk to the google server.
If you attention is to use an email address in the form of name@email.domain.co.uk you need to setup a complete DNS record for email.domain.co.uk and you will not be able to do this with PN and most domain registration companies.
prichardson
Grafter

We have a number of customers using Google App for their email.
There are a number of changes you will need to do to make this work.
The A record for email is fine and not impacted by this. The MX records are. You will need to remove any MX records pointing to Google and re-add them with the following rules.
1: The left field needs to be left blank
2: The PRI field needs to be unique. Due to the way Google MX records work, make one of the 5's a 6, and one of the 10's an 11.
3: The right field is perfectly fine and must end with a dot.
On the basic settings page of your domain, you will need to change your email delivery settings to "Other" and not SMTP.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Wouldn't that also send emails for name@domain.co.uk to Google as well as name@email.domain.co.uk? The OP seems to be wanting emails for the subdomain only to be sent to Google.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Markles

Quote from: jelv
Wouldn't that also send emails for name@domain.co.uk to Google as well as name@email.domain.co.uk? The OP seems to be wanting emails for the subdomain only to be sent to Google.

Yes, I only want the subdomain to get forwarded to google - I've obviously been spoilt by a couple of registrars that I've used via work.