cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost spellcheck in SMF

plantsman
Grafter

Lost spellcheck in SMF

Since the repair of the CGI platform and the upgrade of PHP4 to 5 I have lost the spellchecking facility in my SMF forum.
Results for search: "spellcheck"
Enable spell checking [Setting]
Enable spell checking. You MUST have the pspell library installed on your server and your PHP configuration set up to use the pspell library. Your server DOES NOT appear to have this set up.
Can anyone advise- will this become available to me again ?
18 REPLIES 18
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Lost spellcheck in SMF

I think this is something only Plusnet staff can answer which will be after the weekend.
David
David
plantsman
Grafter

That's not going to be any help because  it was after posting a ticket that I was referred to this site.
spraxyt
Resting Legend

I think that advice was correct - the Plusnet staff dealing with general upgrade problems are collecting them and responding through this forum. I'm sure they will pick this up after the weekend.
David
David
plantsman
Grafter

Thanks David that's clarified the situation for me. I will just wait and see if the subject comes up.
Marteknet
Grafter

I opened a ticket asking why pspell wasn't part of the new-build server, I get the reply look in the forum, not an answer to my question, just a off the shelf responce, Force9's customer services are a sham. 
spraxyt
Resting Legend

I disagree - as a value-added service general web hosting support has always been via the forum.
As is stated in the upgrade FAQ
[quote=http://community.plus.net/library/settings/cgi-platform-php-upgrade-faq/]
5) What help can I expect from Plusnet?
We cannot provide customers with individual support on website design and CGI-scripting, but obviously we want to help you if you have difficulties with the transition. If you do need support then please post over on our Community Support forums in the first instance.
and
13 I have another problem
If you have a problem that isn't addressed by this FAQ then please head over to our Community Site Forums where you'll be able to seek advice from support staff and other members of the Community.
Adding your support to this topic is useful - thank you. I anticipate support staff will respond to this problem after the weekend with this route leading to a quicker solution.
David
David
Marteknet
Grafter

Quote from: spraxyt
I disagree - as a value-added service general web hosting support has always been via the forum.
We cannot provide customers with individual support on website design and CGI-scripting, but obviously we want to help you if you have difficulties with the transition. If you do need support then please post over on our Community Support forums in the first instance.
Adding your support to this topic is useful - thank you. I anticipate support staff will respond to this problem after the weekend with this route leading to a quicker solution.
David

This is not an scripting issue, it is indeed a compile & build issue, the old build had pspell compiled and installed. Why hasn't the new one? this is a customer support issue, not a forum matter.
2. That's a little mad if you ask me, customer support doesn't give me a answer to my direct question sends me here to look and make my point, then they return after the weekend read my post on the forum and then hopefully do something about it, mmmm that's a very long winded and time wasting rout to take if you ask me, no wonder customer support has gone to hell. I know it, have look how long I have been with Force9, god know why, when things go wrong you are basically on your own even if you are a business customer like myself.
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Quote from: Marteknet
This is not an scripting issue, it is indeed a compile & build issue, the old build had pspell compiled and installed. Why hasn't the new one? this is a customer support issue, not a forum matter.
2. That's a little mad if you ask me, customer support doesn't give me a answer to my direct question sends me here to look and make my point, then they return after the weekend read my post on the forum and then hopefully do something about it, mmmm that's a very long winded and time wasting rout to take if you ask me, no wonder customer support has gone to hell.

If you are going to include my quote in your post not editing it to suit your argument might help.
The important item that you omitted is
Quote from: spraxyt
[quote=http://community.plus.net/library/settings/cgi-platform-php-upgrade-faq/]
13 I have another problem
If you have a problem that isn't addressed by this FAQ then please head over to our Community Site Forums where you'll be able to seek advice from support staff and other members of the Community.

The CSC staff who responded to your ticket are not the same support staff who will respond here. Had the ticket been left in the system I expect it would have been passed onto them and responded to later (after the weekend). In my opinion referring you here in the first place was the right thing to do - potentially the solution might already have been posted providing a faster resolution.
David
David
Marteknet
Grafter

Well an even better solution would be to have staff who were capable of offering support in the first place, I have left tickets, phoned and talked to staff and found them very lacking in most cases, I have been told that they would pass tickets on, told to look here, all this is a waste of my time, the bottom line is didn't anyone keep a record of what modules were active on the old server so that these settings could be used when building the new server, thus ensuring the continuation of features that customers had opted to use, this would have been such a simple thing to do and would have saved many customers a great deal of hassle.
Ho by the way sorry for leaving out the part you pointed out, its much, much, worse then depriving customers of a working CGI server for nearly a week then changing the configuration when its re-built. please accept my apologies. I will be more careful in future.
adie:quote
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@plantsman @Marteknet, sorry about this I've now raised this internally requesting that the missing library is installed (ref: 301019). Apologies for the less-than-helpful responses you got from our support staff, I'll raise this with the individuals concerned.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Marteknet
Grafter

Thanks very much Bob, hopefully we will not have to wait too long to see this working again, my customers use it a lot as it was integrated in to their web site control page, they say without this feature it's a pain to update their web sites.
Nice to see you are on the ball as usual.
Thanks again Peter.
plantsman
Grafter

I have never had anything but good relations with plusnet staff and have been satisfied with any response I have had to queries made. It was my fault entirely that I did not post my request regarding my forum spell check to the correct place.
Am I to assume that if the library is added to the database the spellcheck facility will automatically reappear on the message area of my boards?

Plantsman.
Marteknet
Grafter

Hi plantsman.
I don't think its as easy as that, the way I understand it works is that the modules are selected at the time of building the server, then its all compiled so everything links seamlessly. I may be wrong modules might be dynamic, I know libraries can be added but in this case I don't think its just the library that is missing its the whole PSpell package. I say this because I get a undefined function error message when trying to use PSpell. Its seems PHP doesn't recognise PSpell functions at all. I would think if it was just the libraries it would give a error saying invalid value in function, library not found, or something of that sort.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

The module can be installed at any time, however there is a process we need to follow to make sure the change is reviewed and logged correctly before rolling it out to the platform. This has been complicated by a new version of PHP5 being released, which will be triggered by the installation of the pspell library. As a result of this it will require more thorough testing than simply rolling out the library, so it will take a little time. I believe it's on the list of things to be done and will be rolled out in the near future.