cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loss of email while transferring freenetname legacy email account out.

Chris_N123

Loss of email while transferring freenetname legacy email account out.

Yesterday I asked to transfer newson.org.uk away and was told that the MX record would not be updated until I updated them at the new ISP. This is true as they have not.

Pref Hostname                IP Address      TTL
10    mx.avasin.plus.net 212.159.8.200 180 min

Reported by ns2.force9.net on 5/31/2016 at 9:34:56 PM

However when I contacted the support team to ask why no-one could send me email I was told the domain name had been deleted form my account.

I now have the Plusnet domain name server with MX records for my domain pointing to a server that will not accept mail for that domain despite having paid for legacy mail until the end of September. 

I was told it could take up to 48 hours for this to be looked into.  Given that all I actually need is either a new IP address typed into the MX record  or alternatively as new ISP says: "Log into your registrar, change the nameservers to ournamserver.co.uk, log out". Is there anyway this can be done quicker to get  my email back on line

4 REPLIES 4
Chris_N123

Re: Loss of email while transferring freenetname legacy email account out.

Tried customer support again tonight - again longer on phone t than it would have taken to change the MX record or nameservers.

Still at lest they confirmed I am in the workflow!

kiwiviking

Hi Chris,

I think I'm experiencing something similar. I just tried to update my domain settings to deliver to a new mail server (MX), rather than to collect via Plusnet's POP3 server. While it might take 24 hours for the DNS entries to propagate, Plusnet's mail servers immediately started bouncing emails sent to that domain.

Thinking something had gone wrong, I switched back to POP3 delivery, but emails are still being bounced. Called support, and they said basically it'll take up to 24 hours for everything to propagate. Until then, it seems like all emails are doomed to bounce?

Does anyone know a way of migrating email out without this down time?

Thanks!

Chris_N123

This seems to be a Plusnet special.

When I transferred a domain from Freeola to Heart Internet I changed the Feeola account to use the HEART INTERNET name servers.  Both mail servers seemed to happily accept the mail while the domain tag was with one IP and the name server with the other.   After propagation was complete and all the mail being delivered to Heart Internet I changed the IP TAG

The Plusnet system of having the MX record for a domain currently with them pointing to one of their mail servers and setting that mail server up not to receive mail for that domain is perverse to day the least. 

Chris_N123

Email from support at 13:46

Our Support Team have passed Ticket 126753044 to you with the comment shown below.

==============
Dear Mr Newson,

Thank you for your recent query.

Now that your domain has been transferred away from ourselves you will need to configure it with the new hosts.

However:

Registrar:
         Plusnet Plc t/a Madasafish Broadband [Tag = MADASAFISH]
         URL: http://www.madasafish.com

Relevant dates:
         Registered on: 07-Sep-1999
         Expiry date:  07-Sep-2017
         Last updated:  04-Aug-2015

Registration status:
         Registered until expiry date.

Name servers:
         ns1.force9.net
         ns2.force9.net

WHOIS lookup made at 21:07:48 02-Jun-2016

Seems like it has been transferred back between the email and now.

chris