cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking to extend power supply of my router, but DC connector isn't a standard size?

rdyson
Hooked

Looking to extend power supply of my router, but DC connector isn't a standard size?

Basically, I'm looking to wall mount my router far away from it's current position behind my TV (which is where the phone socket is. The only problem is the DC extension cables I've bought from eBay (2.1mm and 2.5mm) don't fit - these two sizes appear to be standard sizes so finding anything else to try is a huge issue.

Does anyone here know what size the DC connector is?

(this is one that I've tried to no avail https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1m-2m-3m-5m-10m-2-5mm-Socket-to-90-Degree-Angled-Plug-DC-Power-Extension-...)

16 REPLIES 16
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: Looking to extend power supply of my router, but DC connector isn't a standard size?

Surely where you have a TV you have electricity? Why not just put a mains adapter behind your TV if you haven't got enough sockets?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

rdyson
Hooked

Re: Looking to extend power supply of my router, but DC connector isn't a standard size?

It's not about how many sockets I have, the reason why I want to move it is because I'm convinced the TV is blocking some of the wireless signal (plus you're not supposed to put the router near electrical equipment anyway).

The standard power cable is only 1.5m and I need 3-5m of cable - I don't want to spend lots of money having a new socket installed away from the TV.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@rdyson - IIRC these are standard barrel connections at 3.5mm

rdyson
Hooked

@Anonymous Something like this? Or is it 3.5mm at both ends?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@rdyson, sort of. If the connector on the wall wart (PSU) is a 3.5mm Male barrel then you will want an extension of 3.5mm Female to 3.5mm Male. Where you insert the PSU Male in to the Female end and the Male end of the extension goes in to the router as normal.

You're hinting at something not being a standard size, so what router are you using?

rdyson
Hooked

@Anonymous I've got a Plusnet One router. Well, I say it's not standard size because the most common sizes on the market are 2.1mm and 2.5mm e.g. . The only 3.5mm dc cables I can find are 3.5mm x 1.35mm which isn't the one I need (?). The only 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable I can find is an audio cable lol. I've even tried AliExpress and not even they sell such things.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@rdyson - Is this what you are looking for?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00BIFSWWY

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Also to bear in mind you are probably going to be using a much longer phone socket to router cable...not ideal.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
rdyson
Hooked

@Anonymous Something like that, except that one is 2.1mm so doesn't fit Sad

rdyson
Hooked

@Strat My phone socket goes into the modem which connects to the Hub One via LAN cable, so I don't need to worry about that Smiley

LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

error

Baldrick1

@rdyson wrote:

the reason why I want to move it is because I'm convinced the TV is blocking some of the wireless signal (plus you're not supposed to put the router near electrical equipment anyway).

If the whole purpose of this is because you have poor wireless performance then maybe you would be better looking a bit deeper into that. Have you tried the steps in this post? https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Fibre-Regularly-losing-wi-fi-connection/m-p/1557869#M7...

Moderator and Customer

Baldrick1

@rdyson wrote:

@Strat My phone socket goes into the modem which connects to the Hub One via LAN cable, so I don't need to worry about that Smiley

Why do you use a modem AND a Hub One? The Hub One has an ADSL/VDSL modem built in.

Edit

@rdyson

Thinking about this a bit more, are you sure that you have a Hub One and not a a Hub Zero? This Hub Zero/modem combination was issued in the days when BT installed the modem for you. If this is the case then why not leave the modem plugged in to the BT master socket behind the TV and use a longer WAN cable between the modem and re positioned router?

?As an aside, the wifi performance of the Plusnet Hub One is dire so if you're going through this to try to improve wifi performance then you may be disappointed.

Moderator and Customer

rdyson
Hooked

@Baldrick1 Definitely a Hub One - I had the Zero but asked Plusnet for a Hub One and they duly obliged.

That's exactly what I want to do, use a 5m WLAN cable from the modem to the repositioned router..it's just that I can't find a way to power a repositioned router further away from where it currently is (!) lol.