Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linking non PN webspace to PN domain

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Linking non PN webspace to PN domain

I have a site on Fasthosts.com and the domain is registered with force9.
Fasthosts don't accept uk.com domains so could I point the domain at my site on fasthosts.
I currently use a redirect page...not very satisfactory at all.
Will I see www.mysite.uk.com in the Browser address box or xxx.fasthosts.com
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
3 REPLIES 3
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: Linking non PN webspace to PN domain

PlusNets domain system does not allow setting up A records to IP addresses outside their address range so you can't point a PN hosted domain elsewhere.
You should really transfer out the domain from plusnet anyway as their renewal charges are very high. Move it to say daily.co.uk which I have just started using as 1and1 (my normal registrar) do not support eu.* domains, and Daily's  control panel looks very comprehensive. There is also no charge to transfer a domain to them. From there you can point the domain anywhere you like.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Thanks very much for the info Peter.
I will look at moving the domain elsewhere.
It's a pity PN don't support ASP as I would then host the site locally.
Thanks again.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
jonathand
Dabbler

Quote from: Peter
PlusNets domain system does not allow setting up A records to IP addresses outside their address range so you can't point a PN hosted domain elsewhere.

The domain system does indeed allow this (using A or CNAME records). What you can't do is point an externally hosted domains onto our hosting servers.
If your site is sitting on a shared IP (you can check by browsing the IP address of your site and seeing what it comes up with) you'll need the server configuring to accept requests for the hostname you are going to be using.
If you have your own IP address and you can view your site using it, chances are it will work with no modification required on the Fasthosts.com side of things.
HTH.