cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Legacy Plusnet email and web space

ppppenguin
Dabbler

Legacy Plusnet email and web space

Having been with Plusnet for a very long time I still have the free email address and webspace that were given to all customers back then. I moved my main email away from Plusnet years ago and have now moved my website.

I would like to disable or discontinue my Plusnet email and website. How can I do this please?

I don't know Plusnet's plans but I wouldn't be surprised if these services are discontinued by Plusnet in the near future. There can't be too many customers still using them.

2 REPLIES 2
starfry
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Re: Legacy Plusnet email and web space

Don't discontinue it, just stop using it.

If you haven't got it then you can't get it. You never know when something crops up where having that spare webhost could be handy. If you give it up you won't be able to get it back. I have it, I barely use it. But every now and then I have a use for it and it comes in handy. I do use email boxes but only for routing and store/foward of mail sent to real domains.

Just

(a) delete all your files from the web space (e.g. using an ftp client). Optionally stick a "index.html" there with "there is nothing here".

(b) just stop connecting and downloading email. If you have multiple mailboxes you can delete them from the "my email" page on the portal. Not sure you can delete the main one though

Assuming you have no domains pointing at your webspace that should be it. If you do have domains then you'll need to point them away but I'd say, if you have then you'll already have done that or know how to do it Smiley

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

Re: Legacy Plusnet email and web space

@starfry wrote:

Don't discontinue it, just stop using it.

If you haven't got it then you can't get it. You never know when something crops up where having that spare webhost could be handy. If you give it up you won't be able to get it back. I have it, I barely use it. But every now and then I have a use for it and it comes in handy.

Just a heads up. I put a website that I used into hibernation quite some time ago, only to be notified a few years later that they had a data breach and various info on the account had been taken. So if you do much the same, just make sure there is nothing that ties to your current usage.

Fortunately I don't tend to do the one password etc fits all. Its the same with sites that ask irrelevant details i.e. date of birth etc. Unless it is of a direct financial consequence to me, they get the standard one that I use - and that is nowhere near my birthday!

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?