cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Legacy PAYH account versus the new CGI platform

donne
Grafter

Legacy PAYH account versus the new CGI platform

I originally asked for a free PAYH account when Plusnet was trialling the service since at the time it offered a later version of PHP than was available on the Plusnet CGI offering which was current at the time.  However I find PAYH really difficult to deal with - every so often the log files overflow my storage limit and I get a plethora of messages about the account being suspended, and there is no end of trouble getting it unsuspended.  Is there any point in continuing with this free legacy PAYH account or do the facilities offered by the new CGI service equal the PAYH offering?
2 REPLIES 2
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Legacy PAYH account versus the new CGI platform

The PAYH service offers user control of cron jobs through the Control Panel whereas on Hostopia ccgi raising tickets is necessary. Also I think email might be more controllable on PAYH. I can't remember whether PAYH supports HTTPS access, but the Hostopia service doesn't. I can't immediately think of any other potential advantages of PAYH.
Unless you are very dependent on these features I'd be inclined to transfer.
David
donne
Grafter

Re: Legacy PAYH account versus the new CGI platform

Thanks for that.  My requirements are quite basic.  I only want to run a PHP genealogy program - at the moment I've got phpgedview running on PAYH and a similar program called webtrees running on the new cgi service.  I find the people at PAYH quite difficult to deal with, so I'm inclined to take your advice and relinquish the PAYH account.