Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leave Plusnet and return as a New customer

wufer
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Leave Plusnet and return as a New customer

At present i have Unlimited Broadband  (contracted) plus phone which i have been on for years for £29.48 per month.

If I were a New Customer I could sign up for the same plan for £18.99.

So, could i leave Plusnet and have no internet at all for say two or three days, and then sign up as a New Customer and get the exact same contract for £18.99.

Seems a lot of twaddle but it could save me £10 a month. 

Would it work ?

I thank you.

19 REPLIES 19
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Leave Plusnet and return as a New customer

@wufer 

Presumably over these years you have not bothered to recontract.. What you need to do is look up competitive deals on price comparison websites. With this information ring Plusnet customer services and select the 'I'm thinking of leaving' option. Affter Plusnet make you an offer quote the competitors price and ask for it to be matched. Don't bother quoting new customer prices, that will not work.

This way you may well get the same servicce much cheaper without having to leave and probably losing your phone number.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 93

Hello @wufer,

Thanks for getting in touch and welcome to the forum. When a line is ceased, it can take up to 10 working days to reconnect the services and could potentially be an activation fee.

Have you contacted our customer options team on 0800 013 2632 to see what the options are available for you account? We could arrange a call back for you to discuss this with a member of that team.

Please get back to us if you are happy for us to arrange this.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
kenwneill
Hooked

Hi baldrick1, If you do contact customer service I hope you have better luck than I did. After 7 years as a Plusnet customer I made the call, suffered the usual delay until pick up, told them I had a much lower cost option elsewhere and was advised that to recognise my loyalty they would offer me a £2 per month reduction on the £31.99 renewal. A new customer signing up today, taking account of the £75 cashback on offer will pay a total of £410.82 over 18 months - £129 less than I was offered. As a result, I'm off to another provider at £21 per month, saving myself £161. No brainer!

Mav
Fixes: 514

Moderator's note(s):

Thread moved from ADSL Broadband to Everything Else.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Baldrick1

@kenwneill 

I guess that it's the cashback part that causes the issue. I doubt that you will ever get that taken into consideration and knocked off the monthly cost on a renewal, so I can see where you are coming from. I guess that this is why ISPs offer this, many people don't take it into consideration when doing a straight comparison of monthly costs.

All the best for the future with your new ISP.

Moderator and Customer

kenwneill
Hooked

That's a fair point re the cashback offer but to be honest, I decided to move before that offer was announced as I was still saving £161when comparing the new provider with the best offer available form Plusnet. I guess time will tell if it's a good move as I was happy with Plusnet's reliability but the saving was to large to ignore.

TeeGee
Seasoned Pro

IIRC you have to take your custom to another provider for one year to qualify as a new customer. Going on to the PN website the first thing one sees is a new customers only offer.  PN are not the only company that do this but there is no better way to annoy existing customers and encourage them to take their business elsewhere.

If anyone takes up a deal via Uswitch then PN also have to pay commission so it would make sense to offer good deals to existing customers and keep their money!

My contract ends soon.....!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi @kenwneill I'm sorry to see you leave us over costs,

If you're still up for the idea of staying, I'd be happy to arrange for someone to call you back and see if there's any other offers we can tempt you with. Feel free to let me know.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
kenwneill
Hooked

Hi Gandalf, Thanks for the offer but it has come too late I'm afraid. When I called, your colleague was adamant that a £2 per month "loyalty discount" was the best possible deal. I've now placed my order with a competitor and will be transferring late November.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Sorry to hear this. All the best with your new provider.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
simonpplf
Grafter

When I switched to Vodafone from BT I rang up to ask about keeping my number. Apparently it's the same line so you keep the same number unless you go to Virgin or another non BT based provider.

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

Seems a bit stupid really. Seeing this thread made me start looking. I could save well over £120 just by taking my custom elsewhere. True, the prices start to get close after the 18 months is up but will I care. After 18 months it'll be move on time. Bit like I already do with car insurance, electricity etc. It really is an insane business model. Maybe it keeps people employed by making us all switch.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Baldrick1

@idonno 

One must assume that the business model works because unlike you the majority either do not shop around or can't face the potential hassle of moving ISP.

Moderator and Customer

TeeGee
Seasoned Pro

My contract expires after Dec 12th so I was hoping to vote Labour and get free broadband. The added benefit of nationalising Scottish (Spanish!) Power and Northern (German!) Rail would have been added bonuses!

Alas none of these things would happen, if they actually did, within a reasonable time frame or perhaps my lifetime so we are back with my family's standard response - pay up and shut up!

There was however an interesting article in The Times today by the lady who presents Moneybox on BBC R4.  She admitted that she should have known better but had been taken to the cleaners by Virgin with overpricing and old equipment. Despite her contract ending the hassle of actually making contact with them was too much to bear!

It did however illustrate the inefficiency of the industry as some years ago the entire town was cabled to our premises by Nynex.  Out of 40 houses I only know one person in our road who uses this with all the other connections lying idle and full of snails. Do we really need another set laid by Openreach?

The other interesting point she made was that OFCOM have decreed that from March 2020 not only has everyone to be notified of the end of their contract but also be offered the "best" deal for the service.  OFCOM have also stated that new customer deals must be offered to all existing customers, excluding cashbacks and freebies.  BT, Sky, and Talk Talk have all agreed to this.

Interesting times for both the industry and customers.