Did you mean: 

Just the name is closing

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Just the name is closing

@lyndonp wrote:

Has anybody found a similar service to JTN for email forwarding?

There should be plenty of registrars/hosts that offer catch-all email forwarding.

Obligatory caveat about Plusnet not being affiliated with any of the following, however Daily, TSOHost, GoDaddy, 123-reg (contrary of what you were told) and Easy Internet (their hosting's through FVS) all seem to offer it.

I'm sure there's loads others too.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Nick-EI
Dabbler

Please note, if you transfer a domain to us (FVS / Easy Internet), then please place a transfer order first so we know who you are preferably *before* you change your IPS tag for a *.uk domain: https://my.freevirtualservers.com/cart.php?a=add&domain=transfer

ac2017
Dabbler

After looking at reviews and the fact that FVS were responsive to my queries, I decided to transfer my domain to them. They did say that I would be able to set up email forwarders prior to the transfer taking place but now that I'm transferring to them as part of their free hosting, they say I cannot do that with a free hosting account and need to wait until the transfer has taken place. Sigh.

Although I've changed the IPSKEY in just-the-name's control panel, apparently, just-the-name are only transferring them in bulk once a day so I have to wait until around 10 and 11am tomorrow for the transfer to take place and then set up email forwarders. I think there's a danger I may lose some email around then. Humph.

Nick-EI
Dabbler

Hello,

That shouldn't be the case - changing an IPS tag doesn't actually change the nameservers, so unless JTN delete the zone immediately (which I wouldn't have thought is the case, can you confirm Bob?) then nothing would change until you change the nameservers. That should give you time to re-create anything you need, *then* change the nameservers to make it all live on your free hosting account.

ac2017
Dabbler

I'm impressed with freevfs's responsiveness. On returning home, I found updates on my ticket at freevfs as well as freevfs's response here which have helped placate my fears. I can see why people rate them.

ac2017
Dabbler

My domain has now transferred over to freevfs (freevirtualservers.com). Although they said it could take up to 24 hours for the DNS update to take place, I've checked some email headers and email is flowing via their mail servers too.

lyndonp
Grafter

I submitted a question to FVS about domain forwarding of email and got a quick reply back with good instructions on how to proceed totransfer a domain to to them plus setup domain email forwarding so I have have decided to go with them. All I want to do is foward all my domain email to plusnet without having to setup individual email forwarding.

For those domain transfer virgins like myself, this is what I have done.he process appears to be reasonable simple:-T

- register an account with FVS and login to my account

- submit a transfer of the domain at FVS

-  in Just the Name enter the IPS Key EASY-INTERNET to transfer to FVS

- order a free hosting account with FVS

I am now waiting for everything to happen and then setup my email domain forwarding. Not sure how long, or when I will know it is setup. I have emailed FVS to inform them I have done as instructed and asked them what happens next. Just a little concerned I end up with email going to black hole until everything is sorted.

It was a a pound or so more expensive that I thought - £6.99 PLUS VAT (VAT wasn't mentioned, it is normal to assume VAT is included on consumer prices unless otherwise stated, I certainly didn't see it). I'm OK with the final price and it wouldn't have changed my decision, I just think it should have stated that VAT was on top more clearly on the their pages.

Will let you know how it all goes.

anthonyg
Grafter

Good luck with the transfer.  I put my domain back to Easyspace (where it was originally registered) and had three days of no emails because no dns or mx records were set up. I had assumed this would be done automatically. It took several emails and two long phone calls to explain to their support that the domain had no internet visibility.  Eventually I got through to the right man who fixed it all in a couple of clicks.

My domain is a ".org" and that might have complicated it.

SteveA
Pro
Fixes: 3

and had three days of no emails because no dns or mx records were set up.

Which is my worry ... I'm still undecided on which registrar to jump to....

Mayfly
All Star
Fixes: 1

@PeterSoul - same here. I'm totally confused. Is this the same as Just Mail that was MAAF now routed to PN?

I would love to move my personal email address to an independent host that was set up by a friend to Freenetname >MAAF > PN so whatever ISP I have it won't be affected when/if I move but haven't a clue how to do it.

anthonyg
Grafter

Here's a tip. Phone the technical support of your proposed registrar. If you get through in a reasonable time to someone who speaks English, then they should be on your short list. Don't phone the sales number; they will always be eager to answer.

lyndonp
Grafter

I have to say so far the response and communication from FVS has been very good.

I had an email at 20:44 last night to say my account was setup and I could now configure the domain email forwarding which I have done.

Just waiting for the domain to transfer to FVS now and hopefully it will be completed.

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

I also use FVS for a website I manage and concur on their speedy support responses - by email.

Perhaps Plusnet should pay them a visit and pick up  a few tips?  Grin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

lyndonp
Grafter

Well my transfer has all completed to FVS. I had to chase Just The Name as they didn't transfer it yesterday as I would have expected but they did it this morning.

The communication from the support staff at FVS was very good and they monitored the transfer informing me they hadn't received the transfer from JTN (hence the chasing)

My emails are now coming through their servers to plusnet.com

So all in all a very good hassle free experience.

SteveA
Pro
Fixes: 3

@lyndonp - could you give a step by step guide on how you did it?  my primary email comes in through the domain registered with JTN and the JTN registered domain also has my webmail front end on it - so I'm really wary about moving and losing either email or web based access, or both.

Do they support wildcard subdomains or do you have to set each subdomain up separately?