Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just the name is closing

SteveA
Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Just the name is closing

@bobpullen the problem is that the Nameservers are still showing as dns1.getsurfed.com. So we now seem to be stuck in the middle again..... Do we know why the JTN update NameServer form doesn't seem to work properly?

@Nick-EI - is there anything you can do at your end for canalplan.org.uk ? 

Nick-EI
Dabbler

Hi Steve,

I've updated the nameservers for you on that domain to ours. You can manage those from within your client area - and is the final step after you've replicated everything on our side in terms of email forwarding. It may be that our support guys did it for you on the first domain.

SteveA
Pro

@Nick-EI

According to the migration page:

In the next few hours, our system will update itself and we'll change the nameservers to point to ours, effectively re-routing all traffic through our services. At this point, you're no longer a JTN customer!

But thanks for fixing it - can't access the control panels from work as they block most ports.

Edited to add : I've had a look round the control panel and can't see any obvious place to change Name Servers

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@SteveA wrote:

Edited to add : I've had a look round the control panel and can't see any obvious place to change Name Servers

It's the client area you want, rather than the CPanel interface:

fvs_client.jpg

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

PeterSoul
Grafter

SteveA -- a month ago, you said: "Some lessons learned from it ... basically don't submit your TAG transfer until you're sure that the Name Servers at JTN have actually changed... I submitted a change and assumed that it had worked and it hadn't..."

But JTN are telling me to ignore the same instruction on their IPS Change page, and to submit the TAG after which they will change the name servers!

Does it matter that much?  What was it that hadn't worked for you?

Thanks.

SteveA
Pro

All I know is that the form to update the nameservers on the JTS system doesn't seem to work very well. In both cases (two different domains) we submitted the new name servers and assumed they'd taken. 

Then we initiated the transfer.... at that point in time DNS checks showed that JTN were still the servers being used but they returned no details... so basically the site vanished off the net.  Once the transfer to FVS was complete you can update the name servers on FVS....  but during that period where the domain is being transferred you're pretty much sunk....

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

I would suggest changing the tag first (as @SteveA says, the portal nameserver controls can be a bit hit and miss). In theory, this will leave the nameservers pointed to JTN and the zone will (should) be left intact. That should keep everything flowing throughout the transfer. Once the transfer is complete, you can configure things as you like FVS-side and then flip the nameservers.

If that causes problems too, then I'd be interested to know.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

PeterSoul
Grafter

So Change Tag gets the transfer going, and then Change Name Servers announces it to the world when it's done?  (If the world takes any notice...)

What are the "DNS checks" that Steve mentioned?  Do they monitor whether the transfer is proceeding/complete?

I've now decided to move everything (domain reg, website, email access) to FVS / Easy Internet for simplicty.  Doesn't matter if the website disappears for a bit, but I don't want to lose domain emails!

PeterSoul
Grafter

Reporting successful & complete transfer from JTN to FVS!

I wrote out a long list of every detail in preparing for it & putting it through -- but decided it was too long to publish here.  Instead here's what happened in the actual transfer:

FVS explained to me that the IPS Tag determines which registrar -- or control panel -- has control of the name servers.  They advised me to change the name servers (at JTN) and then, when this had had effect, to change the Tag.  JTN said No, change the IPS Tag and then we will change the name servers.

I decided JTN ought to be right, so I logged into my JTN control panel at www.just-the-name.co.uk, went to Change IPS-Key, ignored (on JTN’s instruction) the warning, “Please ensure that the name servers for your domain have been changed”, and entered my (non-domain) email address and then the tag or key (for FVS): EASY-INTERNET.

I then emailed JTN Support advising them of the change and giving them the required name-servers for FVS: “ns1.easy-internet.co.uk” and “ns2.easy-internet.co.uk”.  They replied saying the IPS change had been processed, and to wait up to 24 hours for it to take effect...

Sometime the next day the registration changed (as shown by Who.is) -- but not the name servers (hence my domain emails were still arriving via JTN at Plusnet).  So FVS instructed me how to change them: go to to Client Area at my.freevirtualservers.com / My Account / Login / Domains / spanner icon / Change nameservers / enter the two quoted above.

>   Within a short time, Who.is was showing them, domain emails were arriving in my FVS webmail mailbox, and my website was accessible at FVS too -- success!

SteveA
Pro

Sometime the next day the registration changed (as shown by Who.is) -- but not the name servers (hence my domain emails were still arriving via JTN at Plusnet).  So FVS instructed me how to change them: go to to Client Area at my.freevirtualservers.com / My Account / Login / Domains / spanner icon / Change nameservers / enter the two quoted above

At least the FVS DNS changes propagate pretty quickly