cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just the name is closing

PeterSoul
Grafter

Re: Just the name is closing

Then would someone like SteveA who has already switched be able to try downloading emails direct and see how it goes?

And what would happen about sending emails?  I guess we would have a choice of route  -- existing and via FVS?    Would FVS apply stricter spam control than Plusnet, I wonder?  And would we know if an outgoing email had been stopped?

(Recently I have been circulating a reunion-group whose name, invented long ago, included the number 32 but in roman numerals -- I eventually realized the probable reason why some people were not receiving the emails!  Though this would have been because of spam filtering at their end.)

SteveA
Pro
Fixes: 3

@PeterSoul - that would mean trashing all my redirects which is something I'd rather not do 😉

PeterSoul
Grafter

Nick, can you tell me more about "not forwarding to Plusnet": would I be able to read my emails to peter@myname.co.uk on your website (as I can at Plusnet Webmail) from anywhere, and reply to them even -- or at least see a list of them there -- or can I only download them "blind" to my PC?

And Bob, it's still a mystery to me how my domain email address above can be moved to FVS, while my domain website, www.myname.co.uk, stays safe and sound and separate with Plusnet (if we can agree that that's where it is). I would have expected the two to be joined at the hip, by "myname".

Nick-EI
Dabbler

Yes you'd have full webmail, same as Plusnet.

You can actually have your domain registration, your DNS (nameservers), your website hosting, and your email at 4 separate companies if you wanted to, there's no technical reason why you can't. It's just that normally you get all of it from one place to keep things simple. To point a domain to an external hosting provider (in this case from us to Plusnet), you'd just configure the our DNS with Plusnet's IP address for their hosting server. If Plusnet provide hosting as an addon to their broadband service, then there's no reason they should cancel it until you cancelled your broadband with them, Bob would be able to confirm this.

PeterSoul
Grafter

Steve (or Nick of course), you mentioned a dedicated page on FVS for help with JTN transfers: where is it please?  Not obvious on their website.

Thanks.

SteveA
Pro

@PeterSoul - I'll try to find it... I've got it buried in an email somewhere.... and here it is:

https://www.freevirtualservers.com/jtn-closure

There does seem to be a problem with FVS rejecting emails from www-data@workplace11.servers.plus.net ( which is the support ticket email system) because the address doesn't verify.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@SteveA wrote:
There does seem to be a problem with FVS rejecting emails from www-data@workplace11.servers.plus.net ( which is the support ticket email system) because the address doesn't verify.

It should verify. It has an MX record ???:

~$ dig workplace11.servers.plus.net mx

; <<>> DiG 9.3.4-P1.2 <<>> workplace11.servers.plus.net mx
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 5534
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;workplace11.servers.plus.net.  IN      MX

;; ANSWER SECTION:
workplace11.servers.plus.net. 86400 IN  MX      5 mx.internal.plus.net.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

SteveA
Pro

@bobpullen - Apparently I had to add it into my spamassassin configuration to white list it (although I suspect the original email is lost)  ..... 

Nick-EI
Dabbler

www-data@workplace11.servers.plus.net isn't a valid email address in that although there's an MX record, it can't receive any mail at all.

SteveA
Pro

@bobpullen - Lost another site off the net migrating it to FVS because the Name Server update on JTN just doesn't work. But JTN have started the transfer and delisted the domain but FVS don't have it so the site is off the net....

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@Nick-EI wrote:

www-data@workplace11.servers.plus.net isn't a valid email address in that although there's an MX record, it can't receive any mail at all.

Worse than that, it looks like the MTA isn't reachable. Will look into it:

:~$ telnet mx.internal.plus.net 25
Trying 84.93.229.80...
Trying 84.93.238.80...
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: No route to host

@SteveA, drop me a PM and I'll see what I can do.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

SteveA
Pro

@bobpullen - message sent.

Oddly enough if we put the old JTN entries back in it all comes to life ... so at the moment we've moved back to the JTN name servers....  but the transfer has been initiated..... or maybe its all just ground to a halt.

PrimaParty

I got my email about a month after my husband got his, and only after I had contacted the customer service dept about it. I only renewed my domain a couple of months ago, so don't really want to be having to spend the money AGAIN with another provider. Do you think they will honour back any payments made to them in order to cover the cost of transferring?

Not really sure who to talk, to, JTN or Plusnet?

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@bobpullen wrote:

@Nick-EI wrote:

Worse than that, it looks like the MTA isn't reachable. Will look into it:

:~$ telnet mx.internal.plus.net 25
Trying 84.93.229.80...
Trying 84.93.238.80...
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: No route to host

thinking about this again, most MTA's will check for valid MX records, but far fewer tend to use callback verification these days, and some might argue it's ill-advised due to some of the problems it can lead to. I think it's fairly easy to disable in a CPanel environment, but if I can understand if @Nick-EI isn't so keen on doing this at a global level (don't think there's any other way).

@I've raised a ticket at our side to have somebody check the routing back to our MTA and consider whether or not we're comfortable with having it accept messages to the workplace/portal sender addresses. Worth noting that the from address for these messages is under the @plus.net domain, so a client attempting to reply would have the mail directed there rather than the workplace domain. The @plus.net address would pass a callback verification check.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@PrimaParty wrote:

I got my email about a month after my husband got his, and only after I had contacted the customer service dept about it. I only renewed my domain a couple of months ago, so don't really want to be having to spend the money AGAIN with another provider. Do you think they will honour back any payments made to them in order to cover the cost of transferring?

No, any renewal monies we've taken will have been used to extend the life of your domain. This is not lost upon transfer to a new registrar.

Depending on what type of domain you have, you may find that it's not actually going to cost you anything. Some registrars (Easy Internet/FVS being one) won't charge you to transfer a .uk domain name. Even if you are charged as part of a non-UK transfer, it's likely the money will be used to further extend the period of time your domain is registered for.

@SteveA, the domain is now with Easy so not a great deal I can do:

Registrar:
        Easy Internet Solutions Ltd [Tag = EASY-INTERNET]
        URL: https://www.freevirtualservers.com

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team