Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just the name is closing

lyndonp
Grafter

Re: Just the name is closing

@SteveA

I would suggest contacting FVS and explaining what is you require. I submitted my initial question to their Helpdesk and selected the Sales dept on it at http://help.freevirtualservers.com/index.php?/Tickets/Submit

They responded quickly with a step by step explanation of what I needed to do. When I had any questions they responded quickly.

Regarding your sub domain I would ask them as I am not entirely sure of your requirements. I was forwading the whole of my email domain of <mydomain>.me.uk to <myaccount>.plus.com

e.g.

fred@<mydomain>.me.uk to fred@<myaccount>.plus.com

bill@<mydomain>.me.uk to bill@<myaccount>.plus.com

It only takes one entry just like JTN  as <mydomain>.me.uk to <myaccount>.plus.com you don't setup each one individually but they will tell you exactly what to do.

The very last thing you do is submit the transfer at JTN when you have the domain mail forwarding all setup. I submitted my initial query on a Friday tea time and by 10am the following Tuesday it was all setup, tranferred and working. They monitored my changes and confirmed the domain forwarding was working.

I am sure you will find it isn't quite as daunting as it seems!

Mav
Fixes: 515

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav)

Two almost identical posts released from the Spam Filter and one of these posts removed.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

SteveA
Pro
Fixes: 3

@lyndonp - do they support a catch all email forwarder? (i.e. any unmatched email address @ my.domain redirecting to otheremail@another domain)  123 seem to want you to pay for a mailbox to handle a catch all forwarder... which of course leaves you with an email account on their server with email in it.

lyndonp
Grafter

@SteveA

I don't know about catch all but I would ask them, they replied promptly to my questions.

If you have plusnet email as I do then there is a catchall on there although I have it turned off.

SteveA
Pro

@lyndonp - I'm using Plusnet's SMTP delivery - so email to my plusnet account goes to my own email server... I'll play around a little with their interface and see if I can see anything obvious. 

Also I noticed that you said they'd charged you... was that for the domain transfer?

lyndonp
Grafter

@SteveA  I haven't been charged anything yet. That price came up but there has been nothing top pay to date. I assume when the domain needs renewing I will be notified. As I understand it the remainign period left on your domain transfers to the new host.

I would send them your questions though.It can't hurt.

SteveA
Pro

I've raised a ticket.. Will be interesting to see what they say.

123 seems to be a non starter with their cost for the email box for the catchall

ac2017
Dabbler

I've set up a catchall forwarder with FVS: I asked them before moving my .co.uk as that was one of the criteria I used to decide where to move my domain to. It won't hurt to ask them though: I found them very responsive.

SteveA
Pro

I submitted a support ticket last night before I went to bed and it was answered before I got up this morning. I'd already set up an account there and so they've set the hosting account up and I've been able to go in and set up all my DNS and mail forwarding (including a catch all) before I start the domain migration... which theoretically means that there should be no interruption when things migrate over. 

So far I'm very impressed with their support and the ease of use of it all....

They've also set up a dedicated page for help on JTN transfers......

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

I have to agree on FVS response and service.  They do seem to have some real expertise within their support team,  I've had a few multiple email exchanges to resolve an issue completed in less time than it takes Plusnet to answer the phone!

They get my recommendation. Thumbs_Up

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

PeterSoul
Grafter

Thank you all, for encouraging reports of having switched hosts.  I am about to bite the bullet myself.

My main concern now is this: will I really be able to switch the hosting for my email address (peter@myname.co.uk) to FVS, while the hosting for my website (www.myname.co.uk) stays safely with Plusnet, as a legacy?

Are the two not tied firmly together?

Nick-EI
Dabbler

Hi Peter,

If you want to submit a ticket to us then we'll take a look at the current setup and advise accordingly.

SteveA
Pro

My domain has fallen off the internet 😞 

FVS being extremely helpful - looks like its problems with JTN....

Not a happy bunny

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@PeterSoul wrote:
My main concern now is this: will I really be able to switch the hosting for my email address (peter@myname.co.uk) to FVS, while the hosting for my website (www.myname.co.uk) stays safely with Plusnet, as a legacy?

It sounds to me like you already have your domain hosted with Plusnet, i.e. the name servers are currently set to ns1.force9.net and ns2.force9.net? If that's the case, you needn't do anything other than transfer the domain registration to FVS. Everything else would continue to work as it is now. You can check to see if Plusnet host your domain by browsing here (and logging into the Plusnet account).

@SteveA wrote:

My domain has fallen off the internet 😞 

If you message me the domain name in question, then I'll take a look Steve.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

SteveA
Pro

@bobpullen - IM sent...