cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just the name is closing

anthonyg
Grafter

Just the name is closing

I received an email today advising that Just the Name is to pack it in and will cease operating in July. An enforced move to another domain registrar is therefore required for me and everyone else who uses their services.  I am a little bothered that I have now have to incur a setup fee with someone else and have to hope that the 8 years remaining on my domain are also transferred seamlessly.

Rather than casually list a few other domain registrars, could you not have done a deal with one or two for a one-click transfer?

Anyway this withdrawal of service weakens my attachment to Plusnet.

114 REPLIES 114
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Just the name is closing

http://www.just-the-name.co.uk/qna.shtml

Just the Name will be closing on 1st July 2017

Due to the increasingly competitive market, we are no longer able to offer a viable alternative to other larger registrars and have taken the decision to close Just the Name. We will be investing in other parts of our overall business, ensuring we offer our customers the best service possible in those areas.

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Moving my domain is something I've been meaning to do for a while but now my hand is forced.

I don't have an email yet but just checked on JTN site.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
j123
Grafter

Be aware that if the website is hosted with Plusnet, domains not on the Plusnet or Just The Name IPSTAGs are not allowed to point to the Plusnet name servers as a matter of policy.

This isn’t mentioned in the FAQ.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@j123 wrote:

... if the website is hosted with Plusnet, domains not on the Plusnet or Just The Name IPSTAGs are not allowed to point to the Plusnet name servers...

Not sure what you're getting at here Huh

If you have a domain registered elsewhere/on a different IPS Tag, then it's perfectly fine to point to our name servers, and we will host the domain as long as your account type offers hosting.

If you have a domain registered/hosted externally that you want to point to your CGI webspace (assuming you have any) then this is OK too (although it's not really protocol so you'd probably need to give me a nudge directly).

I think what you may mean to refer to, is the fact that a domain registered with Plusnet i.e. with Plusnet's IPS Tag, cannot be configured to use third party name servers. Having said that, this is possible with JTN.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

j123
Grafter

I was quoting directly from a reply this week from Just The Name support.

I have a website hosted on Plusnet’s CGI webspace, the domain is billed through JTN, though confusingly the Plusnet control panel for “Domains” lists the domain as “Registered and hosted”. According to the WHOIS lookup, the Registrar for the domain is “ Plusnet Plc t/a Just-the-Name [Tag = GETSURFED]”

I wanted to transfer the registration to 34SP but keep the name servers pointing to ns1.force9.net and ns2.force9.net. So I put in a request to JTN to change the IPSTag to 34SP to begin the transfer process.

I was told that “if we change the tag away from ourselves to 34SP, then all of the services from Just The Name will cease - including access to the Force9 name servers”.

In reply, I asked them “Are you saying that a domain registered with another registrar besides JTN cannot point to the Force9 name servers?”

They replied, “Yes, that is exactly what we are saying. As a matter of policy we do not allow domains which are not on the Plusnet or Just The Name IPSTAGs to point to the Plusnet name servers.”

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

You were misinformed. What you're proposing sounds fine and there should be little, if any, interruption in service. Sorry for the confusion Undecided

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

j123
Grafter

I’ve decided to move to a different webhost anyway, as Plusnet webspace is a legacy product.

I put in a request yesterday for JTN to change the name servers to point to the new webhost (no reply yet). Once that has completed, I’ll change the IPSTag.

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I'm currently attempting a move of my domain to 123-Reg where I already have a couple of domains.

I'm no expert in this process so fingers crossed and we will see how things go.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
paulcobb
Grafter

Does anyone have any useful advice on UK based registrars that would be a safe bet to move to.
I have a substantial number of domains currently with JTN - which are all hosted elsewhere so just need a competitive renewal rate, no transfer costs and online access for nameserver pointing etc.

j123
Grafter

I've had a good experience with 34SP.com. No transfer-in fee, the control panel is straight forward to use and the customer support is excellent—an email enquiry usually gets a full and helpful reply within half an hour. There's even a call-me-back service, which I haven't used.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Personal recommendation from me for global TLD's is namesilo.com.

Most of my UK' s are with Daily at the moment. Suits me fine, not sure how competitive the pricing is though. Not looked in a while.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

I've used 123-reg since 2003 as a registrar and name server only service with hosting elsewhere. Easy to change any DNS settings online. I've just setup DKIM without any issues ( a feature Plusnet would not provide for their DNS service).

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
beeceegee
Pro
Fixes: 4

@bobpullen wrote:
Most of my UK' s are with Daily at the moment.

+1 for Daily

PeterSoul
Grafter

I am now both confused & worried!

I pay JTN every two years for hosting my domain, www.[my name].co.uk, set up long ago and existing now, I believe, as Plusnet legacy webspace.

More than that I don't know: I've received no email notification, nor do I understand anything said above in the thread!

Could someone please write a set of simple instructions for what to do, if JTN is going to disappear in July?