cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Joomla on hostopia webspace ccgi

throughroute
Hooked

Joomla on hostopia webspace ccgi

I have obtained snippets of information regarding the setup of the htaccess file to help install Joomla onto my webspace. I used to have a website before but this was a direct migration using akeeba backup and its extractor. This worked like a charm. However I have a new website to work on and I need to install Joomla 3.3.3 from scratch. I set up a mySQL database using the mysql manager as instructed by the site manual. The problem I am having is that  although the entries on page two of the Joomla installer seem correct when I click next I get this message at the top of the screen: Could not connect to the database. Connector returned number: Could not connect to MySQL.
This has been a source of frustration as I have checked  the details several times. All I can think is that the .htaccess file is missing something that points Joomla to the correct database host, or am I wrong? Honestly I don't know, but a definitive answer on what exactly needs to go into the .htaccess file to set it up correctly for Joomla 3.3.3 I am sure would be of interest to many besides myself.
the .htaccessfile in public reads:
Options +FollowSymLinks -MultiViews
# Turn mod_rewrite on
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteRule ^cgi-bin(/.*|)$ CGI-BIN$1 [L,NC]
php_flag magic_quotes_gpc 0
php_flag register_globals 0
and the screenshot of the second Joomla install page is attached
4 REPLIES 4
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Joomla on hostopia webspace ccgi

I assume all you've changed in that .htaccess file is to add the last two lines? Adding those is all that needs to be done to .htaccess. IIRC the Joomla installer stops on the first page if those are not present, but since you've passed that those entries must be OK.
Your screenshot is difficult to read but your MySQL settings seem incorrect to me. The username should by whatever MySQL Manager created when you selected Add Database User (this will be like the pattern ccgiuserna123456). The new user does not have a database so you need to create one by clicking the new name, then entering that database user's password lower down the page and logging in.
This presents a dialogue which guides you through building a CREATE DATABASE MySQL query by clicking the words. Here you will enter a database prefix name (eg jml)  When complete you click Build Query and the button changes to Run Query. Clicking Run Query should create a database called jml_ccgiuserna123456 where the characters after the underscore are the database username.
The database entry on your screenshot appears to be just a different username.rather than the database name for the new user you created.
David
David
throughroute
Hooked

Hi
I have changed page 2 of the Joomla installation accordingly to match the database and have entered the username and password used in MySQL manager, but now I get a different warning. please find creenshots attached.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

The database name shown in the first screenshot is fkm2l_ccgibeefea152094 but on the Joomla page the prefix and underscore have been omitted. The prefix and underscore must be added at the front of the Joomla database name entry.
The prefix shown in the last field is for tables which Joomla will create in the database. The table prefix has no connection with that used in the database name. It is used to ensure table names in the database are unique. For instance by using a different table prefix a second Joomla installation could be set up in the same database, and/or the database could contain tables for additional applications such as WordPress and SMF each with their own table prefixes.
David
David
throughroute
Hooked

Hi David
Thanks for the assist. Everything is now sorted. I have made notes so that this doesn't happen on future occasions with Joomla installs to Plusnet's host, but I dont think I'll be bothering with anymore new installs. I'll just alter the current site to look the way I want my new site to be. Far safer.......
I'm only going to use the site for prototyping as I have always been concerned about exceeding my bandwith allocation since 2004.
Regards
Ed