cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Joomla install. Getting 'Internal Server Error' when trying to use ccgi web space.

FIXED
beanmunster
Fixes: 1

Joomla install. Getting 'Internal Server Error' when trying to use ccgi web space.

So many years ago (2006ish?) I used the ccgi web space to run a Joomla web site. After a couple of years use, I passed it over to someone 'competent' and it got hosted and looked after elsewhere. Since then my ccgi web space has been dormant.

Although I managed to get a site operational before, today I am struggling. I have connected to the web space and deleted remnants from the previous web site. I have gone into the mySQL settings and deleted the old user/database and set up a new one. I have visited the PHP settings and set it to the latest version. I found I needed to go into the ftp settings in the web manager to allow me to access the web space through an ftp program.

I have uploaded the joomla zip file into the /public directory and unzipped it. I am now stuck. I now get 'Internal Server Error' when I access the web space via a browser. I have tinkered a bit with permissions, but even after opening them up I was unable to get the joomla setup scripts to start. I have now set permissions back to 710 on the directories and 640 on everything else until I understand what's going on. I appreciate I should probably set all .php files to 700?

Please be aware my skill level is 'google like mad'. I probably don't understand some pretty fundamental stuff.

2 REPLIES 2
beanmunster

Re: Joomla install. Getting 'Internal Server Error' when trying to use ccgi web space.

Fix

Hello Beanmunster and welcome to the forum! I'm sorry to see you've been struggling with you cgi space.

It sounds to me like you may have an issue with the htaccess file. Are you sure you deleted the old file from 'many years ago' before you uploaded your new joomla install? Try deleting it and the recently uploaded joomla system. It's probably best to start afresh if you've been playing around with permissions.

When the public folder is empty, upload the joomla zip file and extract it on the server and try again.

Good luck!

beanmunster

Re: Joomla install. Getting 'Internal Server Error' when trying to use ccgi web space.

Wow Beanmunster! You are amazing! I did just as you suggested and I am now able to log in and configure the joomla system.

Thank you so much for your help.