cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Joomla - Lock table error, help!

hillfort
Dabbler

Joomla - Lock table error, help!

Ok so I got my new cgi (cheers). And I installed joomla, so far so good.
I tried a test install using WAMP on a laptop and that was no problem. The cgi server of course was different, magic quotes and register globals caused a problem but I fixed that with a local .htaccess file. Fine!
However while testing I seemed to have a problem and if memory servers me write the server hung while I was editing an article.
Since then I always get the following error message and I don't know how to fix it.

Save failed with the following error: Access denied for user 'xxxxxxxxx'@'%' to database 'phpmy1_ccgi_xxxxxxx_plus_com' SQL=LOCK TABLES `aqwea_assets` WRITE

NB: although I get the error message whenever I save an article the save always appears to work!
I'd be grateful for any advice.
tyvm
13 REPLIES 13
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Joomla - Lock table error, help!

Sounds like you don't have privileges to lock tables. Our phpMyAdmin install won't allow you to change this either from what I can tell.
Have you always received this error trying to edit articles or has it only just arisen? I have a Joomla install and I can't replicate the problem. Can you provide step by step instructions explaining how you're editing articles?
Perhaps whatever's causing the condition will time out eventually?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

hillfort
Dabbler

Thanks for your reply  Cool
I think I've always had it, I only installed it yesterday afternoon and this started pretty much straight-away once it was up and running. - it hasn't occurred on the local install I have on WAMP
I am using the example 'blog' that was an option on the initial install (if you know the one and the error occurs whether I create or amend an article and whether I do this an an user with Editor Joomla privs (this user has registered+author+editor privs) or as admin.
I wondered whether this would time out too, but this happened yesterday and it hasn't done so overnight. Of course the issue may go away if the database is bounced but I guess this is shared so that won't happen unless the host has a schedule to do it, say weekly.
I would reckon I could solve it by dropping the database, trashing the install and starting again - but that's a bit sub-optimal.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I can't log into your database via the MySQL Manager using the password you have in your CMS/configuration.php file. Are you sure it's correct? Perhaps it's worth you trying to reset your database password to match what you have in that config file? You can reset the MySQL password using the password reset fields to the lower right of the MySQL Manager app in the Control Panel.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

hillfort
Dabbler

Quote from: Bob
I can't log into your database via the MySQL Manager using the password you have in your CMS/configuration.php file. Are you sure it's correct? Perhaps it's worth you trying to reset your database password to match what you have in that config file? You can reset the MySQL password using the password reset fields to the lower right of the MySQL Manager app in the Control Panel.

Umm, I can using the $user and $password credentials held in that file and I can query the database.
In any case isn't that a bit illogical? If joomla isn't able to use those credentials it shouldn't be able to log in itself in order to add/update rows and I can see that it can do that - maybe not to the assets table but I've just proved that the content table is being updated.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

My bad, case of fat fingers by the looks of things. Tried again and I'm in. Leave it with me and I'll get back to you tomorrow...

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

hillfort
Dabbler

Quote from: Bob
My bad, case of fat fingers by the looks of things. Tried again and I'm in. Leave it with me and I'll get back to you tomorrow...

Cheers  Smiley
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

In phpMyAdmin, selecting the database then the SQL tab and submitting
SHOW OPEN TABLES WHERE in_use>0
should list any tables which are in use.
SHOW PROCESSLIST
should show any active processes with the activity listed in the Info column on the right.
Clicking the red Kill button should terminate any transactions which hold a table lock.
My privileges as a normal user include LOCK TABLES
David
David
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: spraxyt
SHOW OPEN TABLES WHERE in_use>0

no rows

Quote from: spraxyt
SHOW PROCESSLIST

Didn't look to be anything untoward apart from a KILL query in an execute state (which I've cleared).
Not sure if it's relevant but Adminer throws an event error for hillfort's database that I don't see when I check my own.
Access denied for user 'ccgi*********898'@'%' to database 'phpmy1_ccgi_******_plus_com'

I expect to hear back from Hostopia about it today.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

hillfort
Dabbler

Well, I've tried it again this morning and I didn't get the error..... it appears it's solved.
So why and how?
Perhaps hostopia have done something after Bob raised the issue with them.
Another possibility is that you killed that process. Previously I'd seen that process using phpMyAdmin and tried to kill it - however I got a message saying that either it had failed to kill it and perhaps it no longer existed. I assumed that the process had been created by phpMyAdmin itself but it's possible that I couldn't kill it because my admin user didn't have the privs to kill a process belonging to another user. Dunno.
In any case I think I'm fine now and thanks for all your help....
Smiley
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: hillfort
Perhaps hostopia have done something after Bob raised the issue with them.

They did. Looks like they corrected your permissions yesterday evening. I hadn't seen the response when I last posted:
[quote author=""]The issue has been resolved and we have granted "LOCK TABLES" permissions on the database and the error should be gone now.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

yasur

Although this thread is quite old, it matches my problem exactly (installed Joola 3.3, get:
Save failed with the following error: Access denied for user 'ccgibigtre508217'@'%' to database 'phpmy1_ccgi_bigtree52_plus_com' SQL=LOCK TABLES `abn60_assets` WRITE
when saving a new article or menu item. Can my permissions be changed in the same way?
David
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi David, raise a support ticket if you haven't done so already and we'll get in touch with Hostopia for you.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

yasur

Will do, Bob, thanks.
David